Monday, October 12, 2009

Noddinghead

It's been a long time! I've not been going out to eat too often, and I've also been revisiting some of my fevortie places lately. Because I really only focus on writing about my new experiences, this doesn't leave much room for new posts.

Although I've been to Noddinghead quite a few times, I don't often eat here. Recently, my coworker and friend Dan had a chance to take a lunch break here. Noddinghead positions itself first as a microbrewery, as it should. They make excellent beers, and although they might not all be to my taste, I respect what they're doing. For example, they recently made the Wet Chinook Double IPA. It uses fresh hops; they were cut and shipped overnight from California, and promptly used for their brew. They did a great job with this beer, not over-hopped or too citrus-y. We mostly drank the Lead Piper Lager, a dark bock beer, strong at 7%. This was a well crafted, dark lager, that had a lot of good flavor. One of my favorite things is that Nodding head will sell half pints, full pints, or pitchers, all at reasonable prices.

I like this spot a lot, they have a small bar and a lot of tables in the big open room. It feels cozy in this place. Following their moniker, this place has hundreds of bobble-heads around the bar. I love looking at the different ones, you can spot some real treasures if you try. The service, well, it exists. There is someone to provide beer and menus, nothing special.

While I was looking over the menu, I noticed that is was generic pub fare; Noddinghead does not exercise the same creativity with food as they do with their beer. This is probably the reason I only drink when I visit. Under the barkeep's recommendation, I went with the pulled pork. It was a huge, messy sandwich with coleslaw and cheddar on top, and a side of fries. The meat was tender, but not too flavorful. Overall, the meal was good, but nothing spectacular.

Bottom Line:
There are better places to eat within walking distance, but not many better to drink. Noddinghead is making some of the finest beers in town, and this is the only spot to get them. I've heard they have a decent brunch, but I advise this to be a watering hole only.

Essentials:
1516 Sansom St
(215) 569-9525
Avg Ent: 8-15
Cash Only: No
Reservations: No

1 comment:

lindseyparsons said...

I love Noddinghead's food! I actually just told Jesse that we need to take a trip there, very soon. Sorry you were not pleased :(