Thursday, May 27, 2010

Darling's Diner

I've been meaning to write about this spot for a while, and it kind of slipped my mind. At this point, I don't feel like going into too much detail, and there's too much to criticize. I hate the decor and atmosphere. This place has as much charm as a dumpy doctors office. The harsh lighting is horrible, especially at late night hours. There are booths to sit in, and you should be lucky enough to get one so you're not on a hard plastic chair stranded in the middle of a sea of diners. The space has high ceilings and lots of hard surfaces, so expect it to sound like a sporting event, even if there are only a few people.

Speaking of sports, why do you have three televisions, none of which are playing the Phillies when I walk in. There were no other sports going on. And when I ask for the game to be put on, no one working there even knows what channel to put on and my request is eventually ignored.

Which brings me to the service. I reserve some judgement because I caught a server during a shift change, but overall it was shoddy service. I shouldn't have an empty coffee cup on my table for a majority of the time I'm seated.

My last complaint is the prices. $22 for two coffees, and pies ala mode? Are you seriously charging $1.95 for two tiny scoops of ice cream along with my slice of pie? The slices of pie an enormous, and around $6 each. I don't want a slice of pie the size of Kansas. Just because we're American, we don't have to be fat and indulge in overeating every chance we get.

Bottom Line: The only reason I could see someone going here is if you're in Northern Liberties and you want to eat between the hours of 3 and 4 am. Before 2am, there are a million better choices, and between 2 and 3 visit the new Dapper Dog. There's so much wrong with this diner.

No comments: