Monday, April 25, 2011

JG Domestic

JG Domestic is one of Jose Garces' newest restaurants. It is in the Circa Center, the time crystal looking building attached to 30th Street Station. Set in the lobby of the building, the decor and absence of walls gives the restaurant the feel of a fancy, open air ranch. It's certainly the nicest and probably "best" place to eat if you are waiting at 30th Street Station. I picked up my wonderful mother at the station and we decided to visit while waiting for my sister to get into town.


As expected, JG Domestic offers good service. The beer list is small, but respectable. I ordered the house beer, a Victory brew that bears Garces' name. The style wasn't listed, but this bitter, amber ale is probably an ESB. Mom ordered a glass of house wine and wasn't impressed. Prices here are a bit above average, but within the normal bounds for this type of restaurant.

The lunch menu has a lot of choices, and I opted for the blue plate special. Wednesday's special, fish and chips, was exactly what I was craving. Sadly, it did not live up to my expectations. The amount of fish on my plate was laughable, close to half the normal serving size of a typical fish dish. The fish was breaded in small pieces, a la fish-sticks. These were set on a large bed of well seasoned fries - but fries should never constitute the main portion of a meal. Alongside my meal was a small ramekin of salad with a delicious green goddess dressing. My favorite part of the fish and chips plate was the condiment, a malt vinegar aoili that had the perfect taste and texture to compliment the fried fish.

Mom ordered the Cobb salad, which was topped with blue cheese, avocado, bacon, and grilled chicken. I was a bit jealous when her plate arrived; it looked fantastic and she really enjoyed her order.

Bottom Line: JG Domestic offers decent lunch specials and a good place to eat in a location that's relatively sparse otherwise. It's on par with Garces' other locations, but honestly, if I find myself stuck while waiting in 30th Street Station again, I'd much rather check out the surprisingly extensive beer list at Bridgewater's.

1 comment:

Theodore said...

Hello,

Normally, I would email this to you.

I wanted to let you know that The Food Experiments is coming to Philadelphia. The Food Experiments (www.thefoodexperiments.com) is a series of amateur cook-offs that celebrate the home chef. By creating these events, my co-organizer and I have developed a community of food and fun-loving people in our hometown of Brooklyn. Now we have been given the great opportunity by Brooklyn Brewery to go on the road for a national tour. The Philadelphia Cheese Experiment will be held at the World Cafe Live venue on Sunday June 5th, 2011 from 12-4PM. Anyone can compete, anyone can attend, anyone can win! A portion of the event’s proceeds will go towards The Food Trust, a local charity dedicated to ensuring that everyone has access to affordable, nutritious food.

I’d like to encourage you and your readers to enter or attend. The top prize is a trip to Brooklyn to compete against all the cook-off winners from around the country and all chefs will be a provided with a Whole Foods gift certificate to help purchase ingredients for the competition.

Chefs, press and food bloggers are invited to a pre-event Happy Hour to take place on Thursday, June 2nd from 5pm to 7pm, location to be announced.

On a side note, if you have any eating recommendations for Philadelphia, please send them our way. We will be eating our way through the city on a food crawl (hopefully a sandwich crawl!) and hope to meet many of you along the way.

I would like to send our Press Release. If you have any questions, please email me at thefoodexperiments@gmail.com

All the best,

Nick Suarez and Theo Peck
www.thefoodexperiments.com