Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Abbaye

For some reason, the Abbaye consistently make my list of favorite bars. It's kind of pecular, because this place isn't amazing. I'm going to start out with the things that I dislike, just to get them out of the way.

Nearly every time I'm here, my server is just straight up weird. They don't necessarily provide poor service, unless you think being creeped out while eating or drinking is bad. To top it off, last time I was here I asked my server a simple question about the beer on tap, something along the lines of "Which of these two is more hoppy" and she responded with "I don't know, I don't drink beer." That was it, nothing about going to ask, or that she'd find out for me...not cool. It seems that you can't parade yourself as a beer bar and simultaneously employ that type of attitude. Boo.

The tap selection could be better. To be fair, there is almost always something that I want to try, but I expect more from a supposed Belgian bar. During Christmas they were pouring $6 goblet of Mad Elf, and that was awesome.

On to the good stuff: The food here is awesome, and pretty well priced. I've eaten dinner here, and brunch a few times, and the Abbaye never disappoints. The dinner menu can get pretty hearty; I've had chicken cordon-blue and stew, while the breakfast menu includes normal options like huevos ranchero and other egg dishes. If you ever have a chance to try any other th
eir BBQ, do it.

The atmosphere is nice here, with a log bar and decent seating. There's also outdoor seating when it's nice, and a dart board. This place has the tendency to get overrun with hipsters on certain nights.

Once a month the Abbaye runs a "keep your glass" special from 6 to 8. For $10 you get all you can drink of two different brews from a crafter brewery, like Trogs, Stoudts, Brooklyn, ect. Usually they are the two most basic and/or cheap brews from said companies, but it's still a great deal, and a lot of fun. Just prepare yourself for abysmal service during these specials: (Slower service=less beer for them=more money for them=less fun for me).

Bottom Line: My taste is changing, but I still like these place a lot. It's best bet to reel me in is dinner. I don't recommend that anyone goes out of their way to eat here. This is simply a solid place where you can enjoy good food and drink; a safe bet.

Essentials:
637 N 3rd St (3rd and Green)
(215) 627-6711
Avg Ent: 9-16
Cash only: Card accepted and ATM on site
Reservations: No

2 comments:

Jonny Rashid said...

Lots of times they have interesting beers on tap, so I like to call ahead and see if it's worth visiting.

hatchy said...

The Abbaye has the worst service in the city, hands down. I've had quite a few unbelievably bad visits, from a cheesesteak taking an hour and a half to arrive and my yelling across the restaurant at the server to find out about my food to our server disappearing with her boyfriend into the ladies' room for a marathon session of something or other. But, the food is amazing. Chimay Marinated Cheesesteak? Wow! fantastic. Great frites. Amazing tomato soup. The tap selection does vacillate between unbelievable to meh more than it should. There are enough strenths to keep me coming back, but they need to fix the bad service and weirdness that shouldn't be there. It's not endearing.