Friday, June 26, 2009

Marigold Kitchen

It's been a while since I've been out to a nicer restaurant. That' why it was such a treat last night to go to the Marigold Kitchen, especially with my friends Jonny and Amie. Marigold is a converted West Philly house that has been opened up into a nice dining room. The decor is simple and very attractive. Even the bathroom has charm. (Check it out before you leave). We were sat quickly and looked over the menu. The service was good throughout the night. The menu has about a half dozen choices for each course: appetizers, dinner, and dessert. There were good options in each of the sections; repeat customers will not get bored.

We started with a cheese plate, three different cheeses which were each paired with accompaniments. We had a goat cheese, sheep cheese, and one other which was paired with white chocolate. I wish I could remember what it was because it was my favorite. This was an excellent way to start the meal. We enjoyed the Avery Maharaja Imperial IPA with the cheese. It's an outstanding beer. I almost can't wait to have it again.

I usually don't go crazy over food presentation, but when it's a nicer restaurant I kind of expect it. Our food was brought out and looked delicious and clean. The portions appeared to be small, but in hindsight they were prefect. Also, the plates were huge and seemed to dwarf the food a bit. I didn't get a picture of the main dish, which is unfortunate. Amie and I ordered the same thing, Salmon over leeks with butter sausage sauce and fingerling potatoes. Each bite of my meal was a treat. Jonny ordered the halibut with fava beans and a sunny side egg. He enjoyed it, but concluded the salmon was better. Nothing on the dessert menu was jumping out at me, so
we decided to call it a night. Our beer for dinner was Flying Fish's Exit 4. It was good, but couldn't come near our last beer. I'm sure Jonny will do a full write up in the coming weeks.

Bottom Line: This is excellent food. Further, it's a BYOB, and the prices are very reasonable. Tab was just under $100 for three, not including the beer we brought. Phenomenal experience and food for the price; this place is simply stellar. Lastly, Erin O'Shea is the head chef and will be moving on to work on Percy Street Barbecue, which could easily become the best BBQ in the city seconds after opening. It looks like she'll be leaving in a few weeks. If you're planning on stopping by, do so ASAP.

Essentials:
501 S 45th St (45th and Larchwood)
(215) 222-3699
Avg Ent: 19-25
Cash Only: No
BYOB: Yes

No comments: