Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Audrey Claire

This is part one of my four part restaurant week/birthday celebration. Delicious.

Last night I had the pleasure of dining out with Rachel and the Kolodzieys for my birthday. Rachel picked Audrey Claire; we had to postpone my first choice because the reservations didn't work out. I hadn't heard a single thing about this spot before last night, and I'm really surprised about that.

The restaurant menu was the only thing offered, which I really appreciate. I've been to spots that offer a paltry restaurant week menu that seems weak next to the regular menu. There were about eight options for each the first and second courses. Because there were so many good choices, we all split the first course. I shared the flatbread and brussel sprouts. I'm not sure how brussel sprouts got a bad rap, because I think anyone who would have tried some of mine from last night would agree that they're delicious. The flatbread was topped with sliced bosc pear, gorgonzola, and sunflower seeds. This was also excellent. Perfectly cook, thin, crispy flatbread.

I was floored by the second course. I ordered potato crushed ahi tuna topped with crispy beet shavings. While the potato crust didn't provide a whole lot of flavor, the tuna was perfectly cooked. Seriously, seared on the outside, pink on the inside, and warm throughout. From my experience, most places can't pull off seared tuna to my satisfaction. Audrey Claire made me flip over a dish I generally don't love. A+. Rachel had sole with lemon and capers. I tried this, and this was also great; it had a better crust than my tuna. John went with a pork loin that he enjoyed, and Alli also had the tuna.

There were about six choices for dessert. Three of us opted for the warm chocolate lava cake, while Alli went with cinnamon raison rice pudding. The cake was served with fresh strawberries and house made whipped cream; it was a perfect way to end the meal. I'm not a rice pudding guy, so I can't comment on it.

This was a great pick for restaurant week, I'd highly recommend it. I took a look at the regular menu, and the prices aren't outrageous otherwise. The portion sizes were perfect; I've found this can be another disappointing "trick" pulled by restaurants during the promotional week. Each course was the perfect size and I was satisfied at the end of the meal.

Last night was probably the nicest day of the year, and we decided to eat outside. Audrey Claire has a nice indoor dining area with an open kitchen, although I've heard complaints that it can get quite loud inside. The service here is on par with what you'd expect from fine dining. I noticed several time our server checking our plates from down the sidewalk; he knew just when to clear the plates and put in the other orders. This was the best service I've had in quite some time.

Bottom Line: This spot is great. It's a perfect nice-but-not-too-expensive spot. It's a BYOB, which always wins points in my book. At the very least, consider this spot for a future restaurant week pick.

Essentials:

276 S. 20th Street (20th and Spruce)

(215) 731-1222

Avg three course meal: 32-46

Cash only: Yes

Reservations: Yes

BYOB: Yes - No Cork Fee

3 comments:

lana bear said...

i just heard about this place for the first time on saturday! It's haley's bachelorette, and i was asking around for nice places to go to dinner, and lc recommended this place. where else are you planning to go for RW? Goat and I are going to try FriSatSun and I want to check out Noble American Cookery..and Amada..

glad you had such a nice birthday!

Jonny Rashid said...

Sounds pretty cool, I'll write about Chifa when I can.

lover mother said...

Audrey Claire is one of my favorite places!