Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Moriarty's - Best Wings in Philly?


Somewhere along the line, I heard that Moriarty's had the best wings in Philly. A quick Google search will put it near the top of a few lists, but will also provides mixed results.

Because I was only interested in the wings, I'll start there. An order costs $9 and give you 8 to 10 full wings, which isn't a bad deal. I like full wings. These were well cooked, had a flavorful, tangy buffalo sauce, and came with a side of average tasting blue cheese. I wouldn't call them the best in town, but it was really nice to have a change from the tiny little wings found most places. The wings definitely get a thumbs up in my book.



Aside from the wings, this place has an great beer selection. It has 30 taps, and I had 90 minute IPA while I was there. They have quite a few Belgians, including La Chouffe with the big guys: Leffe, Chimay, and others. There's some decent happy hour specials as well.

The atmosphere brings this place down a few notches. First of all, I'm not a fan of "Irish pubs." They seem to be generic and homogenized to a point of cultural blandness. Here, Moriarty's is
on par with mediocrity. Further, it's definitely a bro spot. Seriously, there were a bunch of guys wearing Guinness hats. I was offered a free Guinness, and when I turned it down, the incredulous promo guy gave me a hard time. Seriously?

The menu has a serious identity crisis. Moriarty's offers an extensive selection Scotch, but doesn't even advertise their Irish whiskey. With a load Mexican offerings, it leaves one wondering what this joint is trying to accomplish. Lastly, the menu prices that all end in $*.99 (ie, wings are $8.99), and it leaves you feeling like you're in nothing more than a Irish branded Applebees. And I hate Applebees.

Bottom Line: The wings here are good, and there's some decent beer too. Even the fries were likeable. But this place is too frustrating to really enjoy oneself. If you must try the wings, get in and get out.

Essentials:

1116 Walnut St

(215) 627-7676

Avg Ent: 8.99-12.99 (because one penny makes a difference)

Cash only: No

Reservations: Not a bad idea

No comments: