Monday, April 5, 2010

Village Whiskey

There are only so many ways I can saw wow. From now on, I will question anyone who says "Blah blah blah has my favorite burger..." with "Have you been to Village Whiskey?" Because it's really that good. It's an all around phenomenal burger.

Dan and I had lunch here last week. It was a beautiful day, and Village Whiskey has some great outdoor seating. They run tables along the wall like most places, but they have a bit more room than normal and an awning to provide shade. We didn't step inside, but I'm sure it has a nice atmosphere. The service during our whole meal was good; I'd be surprised to find anything less at a place like this.

True to its name, this spot has an incredible selection of whiskey. We didn't partake, but I'd like to at some point. The beer list is decent, even though everything is one or two more dollars than it should be. There are about six draft beers that rotate, along with a decent bottle list, including about ten large format bottles. We split a 25oz bottle of red and white for $25, which isn't bad at all. This Dogfish Head beer is a a whit aged in pinot noir barrels. I really love it.

We both went with the burger. There's an option to get a $24 burger with blue cheese, bacon
and foie gras on top. It sounds like overkill to me. I went with the regular burger with blue cheese. When it came out, I didn't like the looks of the burger. Large chunks of blue cheese topped a patty that looked larger than a hockey puck. I thought this huge patty was ridiculously oversized. It only took one bite to change my mind. To start, the burger was more tender and juicy than any other I've had. Second, the ground beef was so lightly packed that it was almost barely formed. This gave the meat great texture, and was why the patty seemed so large. The burger was perfectly cooked and seasoned. The blue cheese was a fantastic addition; it's quickly becoming my favorite cheese for burgers.
The burgers don't come with any sides, so we put in an order of fries. We decided to splurge and order the duck fat fries topped with Sly Fox cheddar sauce and braised short ribs. It's a bit of overkill. It's also delicious. Every part of this side dish is well executed. If you can forget that it's well over 1000 calories, you'll be able to enjoy these beefy cheddar fries. To be honest, I think I'll order the plain fries next time.

Bottom Line: The burger here is amazing, and it's reason enough to visit. It's a bit pricey, but that's what you should expect for the area. If you eat meat, I highly recommend coming here. A little more effort in the beer list is desired, but other than that Village Whiskey doesn't disappoint. I look forward to my next visit.


Essentials:
118 S 20th St (20th and Sansom)
215-665-1088
Hours: M-F 11:30-2am, S&S 4pm-2am
Avg Ent: 8-12, with a few crazy outliers
Reservations: Not taken
Cash Only: No

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess it's time I stop being so secretive. Let's go to Elevation Burger. Perhaps on a day when we won't want to sit outside so much.