Monday, April 12, 2010

Dos Segundos Brunch

I met with my good friend Bryana for brunch at Dos Segundos on Sunday. It was nice to sit outside, but overall, it was not nice to eat here.

As soon as we sat down, we were brought a bowl of chips and two kinds of salsa. I love their salsa verde here; it's tangy and has the perfect amount of lime. It's nice that you get chips here, even if you're just having drinks. I had coffee, and Bryana went with iced coffee. As the weather gets warmer, this option is (or should be) essential. I'm not if they were understaffed when we visited, but our server was not attentive. I had an empty coffee cup as often as it was filled.

I ordered the Huevos Dos Segundos, and I'm a firm believer that if you have a dish named after your restaurant, it should be one of the best meals on your menu and an excellent representation of your kitchen. I was disappointed with my meal. Two poached eggs were served over corn cakes with refried beans, which were both bland. The breakfast potatoes and the hollandaise sauce bordered on tasteless, as if the kitchen ran out of several key spices and decided to go on cooking without them. The worst travesty of my meal was the bacon, which was dry and looked as if it was prepared in a microwave. The presentation of the meal was pretty good, but that doesn't count for anything if the taste isn't there. My meal wasn't bad. It was mediocre, bland, and disappointing.

Botton Line: I like this spot for happy hour, half priced margaritas. For brunch, it is a poor option, and Dos Segundos is negligent on the little details that bring a dining experience up a notch. I've had better visits in the past, but nothing spectacular. With so many quality spots in the vicinity, this place needs to significantly step up the game to entice me.

No comments: