Thursday, August 4, 2011

Charlie's Hamburgers

Charlie's hamburgers is a traditional burger stand, the kind that used to dominate before fast food chains took over nearly every roadway in the US and the world. And for this simple nostalgic reason, I'd probably like Carlie's even if they served up mediocre food.

But the burgers here are great. The grill man is a master. If you watch closely, you'll see him with a large slab of beef in one hand while picks off perfectly sized blobs and places them on the grill. The buns are also toasted on the griddle.

I ordered the two special burgers, the bunny special (tomato, lettuce, raw onion, pickles and cheese, and the Charlie special (fried onions, pickles, and cheese). The patties are on the small side, so I recommend ordering a double if you like a heavy meat to bun ratio.

The food isn't amazing, the beef is average, but the Charlie's serves up a gooey, messy burger that truly satisfies. The two burgers I ordered came out to just over $5. I've heard the milkshakes are good, but I can't bring myself to pay for them at $4.35. They don't have a deep fryer, so there aren't any fries.

This place looks more like someone's living room with an indoor grill than a restaurant. It's small, there's lots of locals, but the staff will quickly take care of you and get you fed. If you get the burgers to go, they come in little wax paper sacks, which I found oddly charming.

Bottom Line: It's a bit outside of the city, but if you're headed to/from the airport, it's not that far out of the way. It's a classic American burger stand, and I like it simply for that. But the burgers also hit the spot. Closed Tuesdays.

No comments: