Monday, December 29, 2008

Christmas and what I'm into right now

Christmas has come and gone again, and I had a pretty good holiday.  I really hope that it is always a time of year that I look forward to and enjoy, instead of dread and fight through.  This year, I went down to Florida with Lana, and we got to hang out with both of our families. Christmas is a great time of the year, but I personally have a hard  time separating the commercial, consumerist, secular part of the holiday with the religious part.  And part of the reason it's hard for me is because giving gifts, watching Elf (which came out five years ago!), and decorating a tree are really great traditions.

Next year, I think I'd like to try and celebrate Epiphany, or Three Kings' Day.  These holidays focus on Jesus's birth, and do so in a more meaningful way.  And that way I can celebrate twice, and have a fun and meaningful holiday.  What do you think?

Among the cool things I got were some smart wool socks, Rabbit Angstrom, St Bernardus Christmas pack, and a sandwich maker.  Although I will enjoy most of my new toys, I am realizing more and more that my Christmas spending could be put to much better use.  In the future, I hope that my gifts given and received will be mostly charitable donations.

Some things I'm into right now:  I'm reading People's History of the US and A Prayer for Owen Meany.  I like the Pittsburgh Penguins but they're playing mediocre hockey.  I start a new job in a week.  I going to do the Philadelphia Triathlon.  I want to learn French, and Gran Torino was terrible film.  Discuss any and all of these with me.  See you soon.

1 comment:

jenibender said...

weegie. congratulations on the new job!!!!!!!!!!!!! that rules. i am glad you got what you asked for too. i am at work currently, just came across your blog. i know what you mean about christmas. i love buying presents for people though. i have self control, but i enjoy the feeling of giving with that stuff. maybe i am just silly. i am glad the trips have all gone well. i miss you man. xoxooxox