Monday, July 13, 2009

Arbol Cafe

I've been trying to make it to the Arbol Cafe for a while. It's not open for dinner, and it seems that each time I want to eat here, they're about to close or already are. Despite that, I finally made it out yesterday for lunch.

First, let's set the scene. I was first introduced to Arbol Cafe walking by their courtyard as they projected movies on the wall of the building next door. It seemed like a nice thing to do, and as I stepped into the courtyard yesterday, I was impressed at such a nice little oasis situated right in the middle of Northern Liberties. Refreshing shade from trees and umbrellas, nice wooden tables and chair, and an overall clean and cheery atmosphere dare you not to love this place. Even if the food was terrible I'd still recommend grabbing coffee and just hanging out here. So if you're looking for a new coffee shop in this area, try out this spot.
And if you're looking for amazing sandwiches, try this spot. As a caveat, I must mention that this place doesn't seem good for vegitarians. While there are options, every sandwhich I looked at has steak on it, and it seems like Arbol's specialty are their sandwiches. Check out the menu for yourself. (It's not the full menu, but gives you an idea). I ordered the Lomito Especial, which had thin sliced steak, a over-hard egg, peppered ham, letteuce, mushrooms, peppers, and onion on a buttery roll. Are you drooling? Because I am just thinking about it again. This sandwich was awesome. I was dining with my good friend Holly, and she ordered the "Warrior" sandwich, which was similar to mine. In addition to being delicious and awesome, these sandwiches are large. We ordered a side of seared potatoes, and they were fine, not
totally my thing. We both ordered iced coffee, and seemingly like everything at Arbol, it was great.

Arbol is run in a self serve manner. You order at the counter and are given a table number, and after a short wait one of the workers will bring out your food. I think the owner was working while we were there and she was really pleasant. Arbol Cafe only has a small indoor area, so it's best to hit this spot when you want to be outside.

Bottom Line: The Arbol Cafe seems to have everything I want. They have an extensive menu, but also a sandwich good enough I'd be happy eating it every time. Throw friendly staff, delicious coffee, and a cute little courtyard into the mix, and there's not much else you need for a perfect lunch spot. Really, the only downside to this place is that they're just not open more. The menu is a mix of American and Paraguayan cuisine, and my first encounter with Paraguay receives top marks.

Essentials:
209 Poplar St
(215) 284-5788
Avg Ent: 7-10
Cash Only: Yes
BYOB: Yes. This spot is right across from the Foodery, which is prime.

2 comments:

lana bear said...

i went there once with amanda jaffe, and agree- YUM

Jonny Rashid said...

I'll have to check it out. How do we know when we can B our own B?