Friday, February 12, 2010

SPTR

I've been to the South Philly Taproom a few times. I don't think I need to write an extensive review. I believe that most people who are likely go there already know what I'm about to write: It has some of the best beer and food under one roof in all of Philadelphia. And a cool vibe on top of that. On one of the quite snowy nights this last week, I went out with my friend Danny for dinner.

The beer list was great, as usual. I believe it was all American craft beer. There was a good selection of different styles, ABVs and regions in the country, which was awesome. I started with the Java Head stout from Troegs. This well made coffee stout paired well with the snowy evening. I had another drink, and tried a pair of Danny's, but I don't remember all of them. The beer list changes so often, that I don't really need to comment on what they were, because they're long gone.

One annoying factor was how dark and loud this place can get. Granted, it was a Friday night, but we had trouble reading the menu and hearing each other. Partly that was due to the incredibly drunk table next to us, which went from funny to annoying a few moments. This place is cozy but not cramped, and I usually love it here, but on this evening the atmosphere could have been a bit better. Our server did a good job despite the fact that the place was pretty busy.

The menu is a little small, but it's always accompanied with a nice amount of specials. We both ordered cheeseburgers for dinner. Before coming here, I've had the burger, and remember it being good. But it's more than that. It's excellent. Although paying $1 for the two small strips of bacon was a waste. Overall, it's one of my favorite burgers in the city. The bun and cheese are great, topped with lettuce, tomato and onion and special sauce. The meat is well seasoned and cooked. Overall, it's a great execution from every aspect. To boot, it's served with fries and pickled veggies. They serve it with a special "ketchup" which I didn't like, but you can get the real stuff by just asking.

Bottom Line:
I like this place for brunch, dinner, or just drinks. It has a great happy hour from 4 to 6. It's one of the best bars in the city. I just wish it was closer to my house. It's not getting the most outrageous lineup of beer, but I'd rather have a solid place that I can always count on. And that's exactly what SPTR is.

Essentials:
1509 Mifflin St
215-271-7787
Hours: 11am-2am
Avg Ent:9-14
Cash Only: No

1 comment:

hatchy said...

I am a big fan. Could be my overall favorite in the city for a balance between good food (and probably one of the top 3 burgers in the city) and decent beer (which wavers between adequate and excellent). Those pickled vegetables that they serve are truly incredible.