Monday, June 14, 2010

The Grey Lodge Pub

I'm rarely in the Northeast. But when I needed to take my car to Nick Schummer's shop, I used the trip to stop by the Grey Lodge. Many have said that this is one of the best bars in the city, and I hadn't given it more than a passing drink until this weekend.

It's hard to determine what is most notable about this bar. As many have remarked, the beer list is excellent. Eleven taps pour a good variety of styles and breweries. I started with a rare beer from Sierra Nevada: Charlie, Fred and Ken's Lager. It was an excellent beer. Grey Lodge also boasts one of the most impressive whiskey lists I've seen in Philadelphia.

I also love the atmosphere at this place. The bar is a large J shape that utilizes the space well. It's also generally busy with a motley mix of people. Whether its Northeasters drinking Bud, Mainliners, or snobby beer geeks, there's no judgement and everyone seems to be having a good time. I also remember remarking that the music here was awesome. Someone made some wise choices when stocking the jukebox. There are also several TVs on the first floor, and it's a good place to catch a Phillies game. To top it off, the mosaic of famous beer quotes in the bathroom is one of my favorite parts of the Grey Lodge.

The prices for everything are excellent. Even a few miles outside of center city Philadelphia the prices are lower than what I usually expect. I ordered a "surf and turf cheesesteak" a Philly cheese steak topped with shrimp, which was $9. It was standard, traditionally made cheesesteak, with the shrimp topping it off as a nice addition. I ordered a side of fries, a mix of potato and sweet potato, and these were good as well. Dan ordered and enjoyed the fish and chips. But both of us agreed that the food was good but nothing special. It's clear that the Grey Lodge does not approach their food menu with the same seriousness or care that do with their drink menu.

Bottom Line: For me, it's not worth making the trip to go to the Grey Lodge alone. The food is so-so, but the drinks, atmosphere and affordable prices more than make up the difference. Although I have no other bars to compare to, I'm sure this is one of the best in the northeast.

Essentials:

6235 Frankford (Frankford and Robbins)

(215) 825-5357

Hours: 10am-2am, sun 11am-2am

Avg Ent: 6-12

Cash only: No

No comments: