Wednesday, December 15, 2010

NYC's Corner Bistro


Corner Bistro is nearly perfect. I packed in here with wonderful my sister, Laura, and a bunch of strangers on a Friday night while visiting NYC. We all stood in line in a small aisle between the bar and a few tables. The line moved pretty quickly, and the wait was made easy by the beer. McSorely's was available in two varieties, Dark and Light, which in real terms means one that's more malty, or one that resembles an amber ale. Both are decent, but I prefer the dark. At the price ($2.75 for 12 oz) you really can't beat it. I love an decently obscure local brew.
The burger is the reason to visit. The price is great, it's cooked to order, and it's damn good. It will please anyone, whether you like a big juicy burger or a little giddle patty, it's perfectly in between and so delicious. It's probably about a 7oz burger, and the namesake, the Bistro burger, comes with onion, lettuce, tomatoe, pickles, cheddar cheese, and bacon on a squishy white bun. I went with a simple cheese burger on my visit, which I recommend because the meat is flavorful enough to carry the burger. It's hand delivered daily from a butcher around the corner.
The service here is quick. I'm sure it's partly because the menu is so small, but the staff is efficient in the tiny kitchen. Alongside the burgers, fries are crispy shoestring fries that a glistening with hot oil. Like the burger, these are classic fries, and complete the meal.
Bottom Line: There's not much to say about Corner Bistro, because it needs to be experienced. I love this place, wish it was on my block, and look forward to my next visit. If you don't stick to a burger, fries, McSorley's combo, you're crazy.

No comments: