Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Hinge Cafe

It's been far too long since I've written anything here. Holidays, cooking in, cold weather, and nothing too exciting on the restaurant front have all conspired against me trying out new places. I'll definitely have two new posts for restaurant week.

I went to Hinge Cafe for brunch on Sunday. I went to this spot months ago, and decided to try it out again. Despite its location on a weird block on Port Richmond, this spot was packed for Sunday brunch. We only had to wait a few minutes before being seated. It's nice to be able to have a good brunch spot close by without epic Sabrinia's-esc waits.

I had an omelet that was on special. It was filled with cheese, and several kinds of peppers and onions. It was a generous portion, probably a three egg omelet. With the side of potatoes, it was honestly enough food to fill me up for the entire day. Dining with my friend Bryana, she also ordered from the special board: eggs florentine. She had a similar assessment as myself; the meal was delicious and served in generous portions.

There are two factors that impress me the most about Hinge: The coffee is excellent and served continuously, and the menu is extensive. There were several great offerings on the board for specials that I didn't even take a serious look at the regular menu. I could easily come back here several times in the future and have a lot of good, different options. Hinge doesn't just do brunch, either, they have a good offers for all meals.

Bottom Line: Hinge offers quick service and meals at affordable prices. It makes a great brunch spot that is (for me) close to home. I've never been at night, but apparently Hinge also host small music events. It would even make a great stop for a coffee shop, as it has a few small tables up front and a bakery case filled with mouthwatering desserts. If nothing else, it's great to support this spot in a neighborhood that needs it.

2 comments:

Nathan Leonard said...

The Hinge is one of my favorite brunch places. The portions are always far more than you can comfortably eat. I recommend that anyone who goes there except this now and stop when they are full to prevent the inevitable pain that follows.

I have had many items on the menu at The Hinge and I have never been disappointed.

As a warning I might state that The Hinge dinner menu is significantly more expensive than the breakfast/dinner menu. I would probably never go there for dinner, simply because of the cost.

Lastly, if you go to the hinge, I highly recommend that you walk up Richmond Ave a few blocks to Port Richmond Books, one of the best, most chaotic used bookstores in the city. It's in an old movie house that has a southwesternish motif. You can't miss it.

On the northern corner of the block with Port Richmond Books is the Polish cafeteria style restaurant Syrenka. Weegie, you have to check it out and write a review!

Nathan Leonard said...

I meant to say "accept this now" not "except this now". dang.