Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Varga Bar

Dan and I stopped by Varga for a nice weekday lunch. I knew they started a new "speed lunch" menu. Also, I hadn't been here since summer. During lunch, this spot is pretty slow. Still, the city is in sore need of good bars that serve weekday lunch, so I'm really happy this is open.

The beer list, as always, in incredible. They also standardized the beer list: 3.5 for half pints, 6 for goblets or pints, and $25 growler fill. Between us we tried Bell's Hopslam, Great Divide St. Brigid's Porter, Slyfox Odyssey, Great Divide Old Ruffian barleywine, and St. Victorious Doppelbock. They have so many choices that I really love the new offering of half pints. Varga also keeps their beermenus page and twitter meticulously up to date.

Dan and I were both craving burger, so we skipped the lunch menu. The burger was good; well topped with bacon, aged cheddar, lettuce and tomato. The burger was also served with fries and house made ketchup and mustard. I enjoyed my meal, but it's not my favorite burger in the city, and the $14 price tag is steep despite the Kobe label.

We also split a bowl of spicy gumbo with chirzo and shrimp. This was a good idea because neither of us ate all of our food, and the bowl of soup was $8. Considering the speed lunch includes a bowl of soup and half a sandwich for $9, you almost can't pass up this deal.

Bottom Line: I still like Varga a lot. It's a great choice for good lunch and beer in the neighborhood. When the weather gets nice and you can sit outside, that just another reason to love this place.

Essentials:
10th and Spruce
(215) 627-5200
Reservations: No
Cash Only: No
Avg Ent: 10-16

No comments: