Thursday, January 28, 2010

Pierogie Week at Green Rock Tavern

I was quite excited when I heard about Pierogie Week at the nearby Green Rock Tavern. Jonny and I visited for dinner on Tuesday night. Green Rock Tavern is a little corner bar on Lehigh Ave in Port Richmond. The bar is a quant little hang out. They have an old school dart board, and the place seemed to be filled with regulars. The draft list is nothing special, and there is no happy hour. The prices seem average, and the bottle list is halfway decent.

This week, they were offering different pierogie dishes matched with a PBC beer for $10. They were out of two different kinds of pierogie's, which I get it: They didn't expect to have the kind of demand they received. We ordered and received our dishes in a timely manner. Jonny had bacon, chive and potato, while I had "Farmer's cheese." We both had decent food, but six peirogies and a small side of kraut just isn't a meal. I wasn't about to order a second dish, either. The beer pairings seemed to be completely arbitrary, but to be fair, there isn't really a science to match those PBC beers with the food offered.

The service was fine and the bartender was nice. When we got our check, it said "Two dude under the highlife sign" on it. That was kind of funny.

Bottom Line: There's not much to say. Pierogie's weren't enough for me. The bar is nice, and if it was around the corner I could see myself going there more often. But it's not, so I won't.

No comments: