Monday, September 21, 2009

Lolita

This is part two of my four part restaurant week/birthday celebration. Delicious.

Last night, I went out with my man J Rashid for dinner. I ate outside again, which was nice, but it was a bit cooler than the it was at Audrey Claire. Lolita is a fancy Mexican inspired spot right in the Gayborhood. I've been wanting to check out this restaurant; it came high recommended. For some reason, my camera was freaking out, so I didn't get any good pictures of the food.

We ordered a tall pitcher of mint blood orange margarita. Our server mixed and poured the drink for us, and we added a little more tequila after she left. The margirita was great, and it lasted us the whole meal. Lime and Watermelon were also available. With the BYOT (Tequila) option, this is basically a must when dining here.

There were about six options for each course, and three desserts. Jonny had some salmon tostadas, while I had jack cheese filled corn cakes topped with brazed short ribs and guacamole. The meat on my was really fantastic, and overall my dish was well prepared, in presentation and taste. My appetizer was easily the apex of the meal.

Jonny main course was mahi-mahi with cumin chorizo. Again, he loved this. I went with pork short rib with sweet Mexican BBQ glaze and cornbread stuffing. The meat and glaze were good, but really, it was just BBQ pork. I could get this a million places. On top of that, the corn side dish was bland. Overall, the was a good dish, but my standards change depending on the quality I expect (and the price).

Overall, Jonny loved his meal. I'm sure he'll rave about this place. I make a note of that because I want to give contrast to my experience. I thought everything was good; nothing more. My dessert was a really nice tiramisu, and Jonny had some kind of milk biscuit/cookie concoction.

For service, Jonny had a really hard time with our server. She was a bit scattered, maybe overly friendly, but it didn't bother me. I probably wouldn't have even noticed if he hadn't commented. As for atmosphere, we were outside, so we didn't experience it much. Looking inside, it seemed like a normal spot, but a bit too packed and loud for my liking.

Bottom Line: Looking back over my review, I just keep saying things are "nice" and "good." Clearly, I'm not raving. There are so many people who will give Lolita high praise. I'm not one of them. Still, at the same time, it's in the upper echelon of food and Mexican spots in the city.

Essentials:
106 S 13th St (13th and Sansom)
(215) 546-7100
Avg Ent: 18-24
Cash Only: Yes
Reservations: Needed
BYOB: Yes



No comments: