Tuesday, September 8, 2009

PYT - Burgers at the Piazza


PYT has definitely been generating a lot of press. After a lack luster review last week in the City Paper, owner Tommy Up offered a free burger to anyone who brought in a copy of the review. In my opinion, this is a genius move: Up is taking anyone who might be swayed by the review and giving them a chance to taste for themselves. This especially works out if you serve excellent food.
I've read a lot about PYT, and it's been all over the place. A few things keep coming up: the location brings out the bros, and the onion rings are fantastic. I went with my friend Quinn and we worked through the full treatment of the menu: burger, rings and shakes.
The alcoholic shakes are a gimmick. That being said, I'm sure a lot of people love these. These shakes are $10 a pop and come mixed with different ice creams and liquors; there are quite a few different ones for different tastes. Mine was a simple mix of vanilla and Maker's Mark, while Quinn ordered one with vodka and kalua. She seemed to like her's more than I enjoyed mine. We both came to the same conclusion: these are made with a heavy hand and aren't really akin milkshakes at all. They're more like mixed drinks that happen to use ice cream as an ingredient. I'm sure that was the goal for PYT, but next time, I'll just go with the regular shake.

The onion rings are different than any you've ever had. The breading is lighter and sweeter than anything else I've ever had. It evokes memories of funnel cake batter. These were good, but I am in the same boat as the shake; I'd rather have a good version of what I'm expecting.
Finally, the burger. It was cooked to order and overall, well made. It wasn't the "fist of meat" that far too many pubs serve up. Still, Sketch burger has become the gold standard to which I compare all other burgers. PYT just doesn't hold up. I ate my burger quickly, and enjoyed it, but there wasn't anything memorable about it. There were a few vegetarian options that looked appetizing; I'd go for one of these if I found myself here again.
Bottom Line: PYT will thrive on location alone. It has a few cool tricks up its sleeve, but in the end, none of them "wow" me. There are people who will hate this place, other who will rave over it. I fall squarely in the middle. It's definitely worth checking out to find out which person you are. Of if you absolutely need a good burger, head a few blocks over to Sketch. PYT also has a full bar if you're trying to avoid Swift Half.

Essentials:

1050 N Hancock St (Piazza at Schmidt's)

(215) 268-7825

Burgers: 7-12

Cash Only: No

1 comment:

Jonny Rashid said...

I had the onion rings and the shake. I thought they were impressive, but I understand your contention.