Monday, April 19, 2010

Pura Vida

I've pasted Pura Vida dozens of times on my bike, and for some reason, I've always been interested in eating here. I stopped in with Emily on Saturday night for dinner.

Right off the bat, I was surprised by how empty this place was. At 7:30 on a Saturday night, there were only two other tables. The decor here is awful; kitschy tropical themed pieces around the room outlined by Christmas lights. To top it if, terrible trance music was playing the entire time we were there. Seriously, who can take that much trance music?? Luckily, as if some kind of make up call, our servers were attentive and friendly. The service is as good as the atmosphere is bad.

Our appetizer was a grilled zucchini and cheese dish. It tasted good, nothing amazing, and was pathetically small for $7. We both ordered enchilada dishes for entrees. Orders can with rice, beans, a dollop of guacamole and three enchiladas. I mixed and got three different kinds of meat. The chorizo was pretty good, and the chicken was okay. I wish I would have gone with the shredded beef for all three because it was the only thing I ate that came close to impressing my palate. Emily was quite happy with her order of vegetarian chorizo however.

I like that this spot is a BYO, but there's not much to say about eating here. My experience was incredibly average. It looks like they have some outdoor seating, but not any when we visited.

Bottom Line: It's cheaper than most areas in the neighborhood, and also not as nice. I could provide several better recommendations, even if you're in the mood for cheap BYOB Mexican. They have Cuban sandwiches on the menu which may be the only thing that could entice me to return.

Essentials:
527 Fairmount Ave (6th and Fairmount)
215-922-6433
Avg Ent: 8-15
Cash Only: Yes
Reservations: They take them, but you'll never need them
BYOB: Yes

No comments: