Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Kraftwork


Just got back from lunch at Kraftwork. I'm impressed with this place. It's a small bar at the east end of Girard Ave. It boasts 24 taps. Stepping inside, there is a great, U shaped bar in the center of the space. The decor is modern/industrial, with a lot of exposed brick and metal work. There's several tables around as well; it's a good size without trying to be humongous. I really like the space.

It's not really fair to review a spot only a few days after it opens, but I'm going to do so anyways. When I first saw the menu and taplist, I was pessimistic. I thought, "With 24 taps, you should have high quality beer on each one." After visiting, however, I've changed my mind. Kraftwork doesn't have any bottled beer, so the tap list is aimed to have something to please every taste (or lack thereof). The older guys across from me, after trying several different craft beers and then ordering PBR, confirmed this.

I really like how the menu is set up. The 24 taps are listed, and next to them is the beer that will replace each one on tap. That's a whopping 48 beers on tap or on deck. Although there are a lot of repeats, it's still impressive. Depending on the beer, pours are served in a goblet, pint,
or half-pint. Many of the beers can be filled in a growler for a reasonable price.

It was quite busy while we ate. There was one bartender and one food runner, and both of these girls were overworked and still managed to provide excellent service. Before it got too crowded, Dan and I were offered several samples of beers on tap while we deliberated. I ended up drinking Southern Tier Hoppe and Bell's Consecrator.

The menu here is kind of small. I'm not sure if it will expand with time, or if they will continue to offer a small selection of solid food. I find that the cheeseburger is an excellent way to judge an entire menu. I ordered a medium rare burger with aged cheddar, lettuce, pickles, and caramelized onions. It was served on a great role and with thin, crispy fries tossed with rosemary. All of the food here is high qaulity, and everything was tasty. The patty is loose packed, good tasting meat. Dan ordered soup and I tried it: creme of mushroom. The mushrooms were pureed, giving the soup a creamy taste and smooth consistency. It was a unique take on a standard soup.
Bottom Line: I like this space, I like competition for Johnny Brenda's, and I expect this location to have a lot of good beers on tap. It won't likely be a regular lunch or dinner spot for me, but the beer, atmosphere and service are enough to keep me visiting. I'm also looking forward to having brunch here.

Essentials:
541 E Girard Ave (Girard and Montgomery)
Hours: (currently) 12pm-2am
Avg Ent: 10-12
Cash Only: Takes Cards
Reservations: No

No comments: