Monday, May 3, 2010

Pub and Kitchen

Pub and Kitchen, I can finally cross you off my list of new places to eat at. I can now add you to the list of disappointing spots that I'm unlikely to ever visit again.

My sister, Laura, was visiting this weekend and we went out for dinner. I gave her a few places to pick from, and I was happy when she chose Pub and Kitchen. It's a swanky little spot at 20th and Lombard. They don't take reservations, so we had to wait around at the bar until a seat opened outside and we could enjoy the beautiful weather. The tap list here isn't great; they have English beers on to go with the pub feeling, but I'd rather just have some stuff that is better and reasonably priced. I drank Thomas Hooker IPA, which was good and is actually pretty rare to see on tap.

The service here was poor. We waited too long at the bar for drinks and our table service was slow as well. The worst part is that all of the servers are dressed like the clients, making it difficult to flag down anyone to help you.

The atmosphere here is kind of annoying. It's darker, more crowded, and louder than it should be. If I wanted that, I go to any number of bars that I like better. The one good thing is the outdoor seating, because there isn't much car traffic passing by to annoy you as you eat. The bar has a few TVs, but they're all on the same spot. I wouldn't recommend this place if you're actually trying to watch anything, but if you want a baseball game on in the background, you'll probably be in luck.

The one saving grace here could be the food. I had read great things about the Windsor burger before coming, and was excited to eat it. My medium rare burger was properly cooked, and came out with cheddar and bacon. Nothing I ate seemed flavorful enough; everything was lacking. The entire meal was forgettable. Pub and Kitchen also overlooked the importance of good bread on a burger.

The portions here are pretty good, and the table next to us had the cheese platter and oysters which looked like decent appetizers. They also looked like you could get better elsewhere.

Bottom Line: Meh.

Essentials:
1946 Lombard St.
215-545-0350
Hours: M-F 4-2; S&S 11-2
Avg Ent: 12-20
Cash Only: No
Reservations: No taken

No comments: