Monday, February 9, 2009

Oscar Noms

After spending too much time watching movies recently, I am ready to make my judgements and predictions.

Best Picture: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Frost/Nixon, Milk, The Reader, Slumdog Millionaire.

Milk is easily the best movie on the list. I honestly think that if it doesn't win, it will be a result of some (possibly subconscious) homophobia.  It is better than anything else, and therefore my pick and prediction.  Slumdog seems to be a favorite. It is also the second best movie on that list, but I'm still sticking with Harvey Milk.



Actor: Richard Jenkins, The Visitor; Frank Langella, Frost/Nixon; Sean Penn, Milk; Brad Pitt, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button; Mickey Rourke, The Wrestler.

I did see all these movies, and I am surprised by the nomination for Jenkins.  I believe Mickey Rourke deserves this award.  



Actress: Anne Hathaway, Rachel Getting Married; Angelina Jolie, Changeling; Melissa Leo, Frozen River; Meryl Streep, Doubt; Kate Winslet, The Reader.

This one is tough. I haven't seen Rachel Getting Married, but I don't think Hathaway has much of a chance, either.  Meryl Streep was awesome in Doubt, but I don't think she'll bring home the award.  Surprisingly, I want Angelina Jolie to win.  I was skeptical of her acting in the past, but she makes Changeling a great film.  I think she will and hope she wins the award.


Supporting Actor: Josh Brolin, Milk; Robert Downey Jr., Tropic Thunder; Philip Seymour Hoffman, Doubt; Heath Ledger, The Dark Knight; Michael Shannon, Revolutionary Road.

This one is tough.  Downey Jr, Hoffman, and Ledger all deliver incredible performances.  While I would think it would be funny if Downey Jr won because he performance was impressive AND hilarious, I think Ledger should and will posthumously with the award.


Supporting Actress: Amy Adams, Doubt; Penelope Cruz, Vicky Cristina Barcelona; Viola Davis, Doubt; Taraji P. Henson, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button; Marisa Tomei, The Wrestler.

I have no prediction on who I think will win this award.  I want Viola Davis to win, but her role was quite small, and I don't know if the judges will deem it effective enough to win.


Director: David Fincher, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button; Ron Howard, Frost/Nixon; Gus Van Sant, Milk; Stephen Daldry, The Reader; Danny Boyle, Slumdog Millionaire.

I've always been a fan of David Fincher, so I really do want him to win this.  I think Danny Boyle will win, and he's also a great director, so I like that pick too.


Foreign Film: The Baader Meinhof Complex, Germany; The Class, France; Departures, Japan; Revanche, Austria; Waltz With Bashir, Israel.

I haven't seen any of these.  Still, I pick The Class to win.  If not that, then Waltz with Bashir.


Adapted Screenplay: Eric Roth and Robin Swicord, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button; John Patrick Shanley, Doubt; Peter Morgan, Frost/Nixon; David Hare, The Reader; Simon Beaufoy, Slumdog Millionaire.

This one is hard, because I don't know exactly how they pick the winner.  Benjamin Button was a short story, Frost/Nixon and Doubt were plays, and the other two were novels.  Still, if I am going on the best adaptation from the story into a successful film, I want Benjamin Button to win.  I think, however, the writers for Slumdog will walk away with the award.


Original Screenplay: Courtney Hunt, Frozen River; Mike Leigh, Happy-Go-Lucky; Martin McDonagh, In Bruges; Dustin Lance Black, Milk; Andrew Stanton, Jim Reardon and Pete Docter, WALL-E.

I really want WALL-E to win.  Seriously, the story that they told with almost no dialogue...genius.


Animated Feature Film: Bolt, Kung Fu Panda, WALL-E.

Bolt and Kung Fu Panda have no chance, at all.


Art Direction: Changeling, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Dark Knight, The Duchess, Revolutionary Road.

I want Benjamin Button to win this.  Both that and Changeling have stellar art direction, particularly in showing the time with sets and costumes.


Cinematography: Changeling, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Dark Knight, The Reader, Slumdog Millionaire.

I want Doubt to win this, and it's not even nominated!  Seriously, Deakins did an awesome job with Doubt, and I am surprised he didn't get a nod.  The Dark Knight will probably win this because of Nolan's use of IMAX and a single filming unit for the entire film.


Sound Mixing: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Dark Knight, Slumdog Millionaire, WALL-E, Wanted.

WALL-E, again, should win this. The robots talked, I mean, come one.


Man on Wire is easily the best documentary made in 2008.

(I skip a few catergories that I don't have much of an opinion on)

Makeup: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Dark Knight, Hellboy II: The Golden Army.

Benjamin Button should totally win this, although the other two films did also have great makeup.


2 comments:

Jonny Rashid said...

My picks for relevant categories (I haven't seen all the movies, but here are my choices):

Best Picture: Slumdog Millionaire
Best Actor: Mickey Rourke
Best Actress: Anne Hathaway
Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger
Supporting Actress: Taraji P. Henson
Director: Gus Van Sant
Adapted Screenplay: Frost/Nixon
Original Screenplay: Happy-Go-Lucky

Joshua Grace said...

did it already happen? who won?