Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Local 44


Less than a year ago, the Memphis Taproom opened up a few blocks from my house.  Between then and now, it's become quite popular and one of the best bars this side of the city.  So the owners decided to spread the wealth and  go to the other side.  The result: Local 44.

Local 44 is a pretty standard bar that focuses of serving up good beer and food.  It's clearly run by the folks from Memphis, as evident by the  similar menu and beer selection.  There are about eighteen beers on tap, including the beer engine, which gives beer drinkers of any persuasion a good choice.

Beer selection aside, the rest of the experience is average.  The service was acceptable; not great.  The prices are average.  The atmosphere is nice, but forgettable.  The only real reason to go to Local 44 is just that, if it's your local spot.  You won't be seeing me make the trip from Fishtown again.

Downsides: The bar charges tax on beer, which is lame, but not unheard of.  Beers that would be $4-$7 are suddenly $4.40 to $7.70.  Even with the tax, the prices are still acceptable.  I was having trouble deciding the beer I wanted, so I asked for a sample.  The barkeep shot back that they "don't do samples, because that's how [they] keep the prices so low."  I didn't think that was true, or a good reason for denying me an ounce of beer.  It's not breaking your bank.

Bottom Line: This place is fine. If you happen to be around, check it out. It's not going to crack the top ten or even top twenty list of Philadelphia bars, but it will do just fine and continue to serve up good food and beers.

Essentials:
4333 Spruce Street
Phone: 215-222-2337
Avg Ent: 9-14
Cash only: No (Surcharge if bill is split on more than 2 cards)
Reservations: No
BYOB: No



3 comments:

lana bear said...

i like the new style. i was going to say it needed a little sprucing up. I'm a fan.

Joshua Grace said...

i'm still kind of surprised by the disparity between what i hear about local 44 and what i know to be true about MTR.

- - - - - - said...

Walter,

I read your blog entry about Local 44 with interest. As the owner, I'd like to thank you for putting your experience into words. I like to take constructive, helpful criticism wherever I can find it.

I'm sorry that you're not overly impressed with the experience you had at Local 44. Brendan and I worked very hard to make this spot different from Memphis Taproom. As residents of West Philadelphia, we opened what we felt that our neighborhood had previously lacked, a good beer bar with a bit of a dark, urban, saloon vibe. As the designer, I'm rather happy with the way the interior turned out, I'm sorry to hear you say that it is 'forgettable'. To each his own, as they say.

As for the tax on beer, you are right in pointing out that it's not unheard of. And I'm glad that you agree that our prices are not out of line. We do not feel that we're over charging for beer at Local 44. The prices are competitive for such a extensive and high quality draft beer list.

We decided to show the 10% tax on the blackboard menu so that no one was shocked when we asked for it and needed to fumble for change (as happened our first days before we noted the tax on the menu). We didn't want to round up to the nearest dollar to cover the cost (as many bars do), so we're being upfront about it on the chalkboard. A three dollar beer costs $3.30. The change might be irksome, but to my mind, it's better than being overcharged.

We put a lot of pride in the beer training that our staff receives. We like to encourage our servers to talk through the "what does this beer taste like" questions, so that, as you were told, we can keep our beer prices as low as they are. I'm truly sorry you were responded to so abruptly, that is not something we like to have happen, and I will make sure to address this immediately with our staff. Our customer service goals are the same at Local 44 as they are at Memphis Taproom, a completely approachable and friendly experience, every single time.

I'm glad you're a fan of Memphis Taproom. If you ever find yourself in West Philly, I truly hope you'll consider dropping by Local 44 again.

Leigh Maida
Owner, Local 44