Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Homebuying: Week 2

This weekend I went out and looked at another batch of houses.  I think I've seen seven now.  Because of my price range, there is always going to be something that I don't like about a house.  Here are some of the problems with the houses I am looking at:

1) Lack of yard.  Houses that were really small, and then expanded, had only one place to build into: the already small backyard.  I'd really like to have some space behind my house.

2) Questionable Location.  From where I live now, it only takes a few blocks to get into an area that I don't particularly to live in.  Location is an important consideration to me.  For starters, I want to live on a nice block and be close to public transportation.

3) Poor Layout.  One house I looked at was kind of perfect, except for the weird floor plan.  Of the three rooms advertised as "bedrooms" only one was a normal sized, functional bedroom. And I'm not trying to buy a one bedroom house right now.

4)  Kitchen.  I'm too picky here.  I want a big kitchen.  I want to be able to make delicious meals.   I want space to be able to put in a dishwasher and indoor grill.  All of those things are impossible to come by.  I'm looking for the a kitchen with at least that potential.

5) Condition.  Here's a huge problem for me.  I want a house that is mostly in good condition that I can put the finishing touches on.  But the are two prevalent types of houses:  terrible condition with a lot of (serious or cosmetic) work needed; or, houses that have been rehabbed in a quick, cheap fashion.  I will end up redoing this shoddy work, but also will pay for it up front.

My top pick so far is at Firth and Amber.  I want to go back and take pictures and measurements of this house.  Time is on my side right now; I am happy renting at my current location for about about another six months if I don't find a house to buy right away.  Still, the housing market is pretty slow, and I'm not sure how many new places are going to come on the market between now and then.

3 comments:

Jonny Rashid said...

Do you think you'd prefer to buy that house at Firth and Amber or wait it out? Thanks for updating us.

LP said...

I hate to say it, but you have to try and not be picky. Our house had been "rehabed" right before we bought it, but it was ugly as hell. I think that we lucked out though, because it was not a shell, and not a super fancy rehab, therefore it was still in our price range. Good luck with the search, I know it can get exhausting.

Joshua Grace said...

there are going to have to be some compromises...i find that usually there is a particular thing about a house that makes it worth it most of the time.