Thursday, July 16, 2009

For Pete's Sake


Let's be honest: PW's list of the best bars in the city is a bit shady. Still, it gave me an idea to check out some places that I haven't been before. My friend Quinn just moved in around South Street and was looking for a good bar that was within walking distance. I though it was a great chance to check out For Pete's Sake (#8?) for dinner.

We walked up a little after 7 on a Wednesday, and this spot was packed. I thought that was a little odd, but nothing was weirder than the fact that were the youngest people in here by ten years. Literally, this was an older crowd without a single exception (that's not entirely true, a few parents had toddlers in tow). A short wait yeilded an outdoor table and we began to look at the menu and drinks.

I took a picture of the beer menu to remember everything on tap. I recall being disappointed in the beer selection, and with a second thought, I
still am. While it has a lot of choices from Germany, Belgium and the US, I still think at least four of those taps are kind of a waste. A bar that tap Guinness almost always loses favor in my eyes, despite the fact that I think it's an okay beer. The choices that are good are all widely available.

Come to think of it, the food menu is kind of like the beer menu; it's technically fine but there's nothing on there that is exceptional. The best part of the menu here is the appitizers. We ordered the nachos, and they were good.

Still, we came here for dinner and could not find anything on the menu that we wanted to eat. Maybe we were being picky, but I don't think that's the case. Check the menu for yourself. I just looked at it again, and the lunch section looks pretty good. But we weren't offered that.

Bottom Line: I can't really find any reason to recommend this place. My standards are high, but I have no idea how anyone would consider it one of the best bars in the city. Maybe check it out for lunch if you're right next it up. But there's so little to remark upon, that I'm just going to stop writing.

Essentials:
900 S. Front St (Front and Christian)
215-462-2230
Cash Only: No
Reservations: No
Avg Ent: 10-18

1 comment:

Jonny Rashid said...

It looks average, especially for grub, but I really don't think that taplist is horrible. I agree that you're standards are high--I probably won't go there (much better spots in that area), but still. I want to give credit to a bar, even though I probably won't ever go out of my way to go there.