Monday, July 27, 2009

Brauhaus Schmitz

I've noticed that is spot is getting mixed reviews. I'm pretty surprised, because I thought I was being critical and I still walked impressed.

I traveled Germany for two weeks. I ate in several beer halls, from the Haufbrau to Spaten to Schneider Brothers. I had a very specific idea of what Brauhaus Schmitz could and should be.

To start, Jonny and I walked in greeted by a hostess in lederhosen. This was probably the only cheesy gimmicky part of the whole night. We waited about 20 minutes for a table; not bad on a Friday night. Our server was great; he had good knowledge of the beer and the food. For this place to be legit, it's imperative to employ workers to can talk about schnitzel and a good rauchbier.

The menu here is excellent. They are a lot of good choices from appetizers and main courses, but I recommend skipping everything that isn't wurst or schnitzel. Portions are huge, so an appetizer could be shared or skipped altogether. The house wurst is a Nurenberger sausage, but doesn't really taste or look like a traditional Nurenberger sausage. It was good, but again, here's a situation where my travel experience causes me to be more critical.

For side dishes, Schmitz continues to impress in taste and authenticity. The spatzle is (almost) a must, and the potato pancakes and asparagus are also top notch. Jonny and I split one meter of sausage. It's a lot of food, really more than two people should eat. But that didn't stop us from emerging triumphant. Overall, the food is very good.

For beer, stick with the German stuff. This beer list here is extensive and well crafted. If you're in the mood to get a little crazy, opt for Stoudt's excellent Gold, which comes in 1 liter mugs and will set you back $9. The rest of the beers are $5 to 7 and come in pints and goblets, depending on the ABV. I didn't take not of everything that I had, but it's not important. It is important for you to go check it out for yourself.

This place seemed expensive when I was looking at the menu. I expected at bill of about $100, but we left paying $40 each after tip. It's not the cheapest meal around, but I was totally happy with my experience.

Bottom Line: This is easily the go to spot on South Street, and probably the best German spot in the city area. Go to Germany if you can. if you can't, come here and consume a healthy amount of beer, meat, and potatoes.

Essentials:
718 South St
(267) 909-8814
Avg Ent: 16-21
Cash Only: No
Reservations: Yes

2 comments:

hatchy said...

I agree. This place has taken up where the excellent Ludwig's (R.I.P.) left off. Though Aventinus wasn't on tap when I went, the fact that they do have it from time to time is great. Excellent German food, by far the best I've ever had in Philadelphia.

Jonny Rashid said...

Weegie drank the Ayinger Celebrator and the Spaten Optimator. Why two doppelbocks? Good question.