Monday, July 13, 2009

Belgian Cafe

I really love that when you ask for good beer and mussels in the city, there are more than a few options. These reasons drove me to the Belgian Cafe one night last week. I've been here before, but only for drinks. I really like this spot, because it has outdoor seating, a nice bar, an open area if it gets crowded, and a nice seating area. Inside and out, it looks better than your average everyday restaurant. While atmosphere doesn't seem to add a lot, it's nice to sit in a comfortable area. Throughout the meal, our server seemed to leave us without beer for longer than I would have liked, but this is my only complaint. He was really knowledgeable about beer, and that makes up any small error in serving.

Looking at the beer list and menu, it's no surprise that this restaurant is a Tom Peters venture. The beer list is excellent, with a couple of Belgians on tap at $7 a glass, and a great selection from around the rest of the world and country. A taplist is available online, and although it's slightly outdated because they change beer quickly, it still can give you a good idea. I stayed domestic for the night with the Avery White Rascal (I'm really into Avery lately) and the Anchor Liberty Ale. I was dining with Rachel for the evening, and she was enjoying the Duchesse De Bourgogne. If you can't find something on tap you like, you're: A) likely crazy, and B) not going to be let down by the bottle list. Beer is easily the forte of the whole establishment (as it should be).

The menu leaves something to be desired. To be clear, the menu is not bad. But it seems like the exact same thing as Monk's, and if that's what I wanted, I would just go there. The Belgian Cafe serves up burgers, mussels, and larger entree dishes. After deliberation, we ordered a large pot of mussels in a sauce of of jalapeno pepper butter, cilantro, orange zest, and belgian wit ale. They were solid, and good, but not amazing. Still, it's a really nice dish to share, and comes with a (obligatory) order of tasty fries.

Bottom Line: It seems that my standards are getting too high. Where I would normally rave about this spot, I'm now inclined to tell you to walk up the block if you're in fairmount, or tell you to hit up Monk's if your craving the best Belgian spot around. Don't get me wrong, this is a good solid eatery. I think I'd just rather hit it up in passing as opposed to making it the main event for the evening. And if every spot seems to be crowded in the neighborhood, the Belgian Cafe still has room for you and your friends.

Essentials:
Corner of 21st & Green St
(215) 235-3500
Burgers 8-9 Mussels:10 per person
Ave Ent: 14-16
Reservations: No
Cash Only: No

4 comments:

hatchy said...

The interior design of that place makes my skin crawl. Ugliest paintings ever.

wgkealey said...

Ever?

Jonny Rashid said...

Thanks for the plug. That's why I'll probably never go to Belgian Cafe.

remmy said...

i don't think that being knowledgeable about beer makes up for a lack in service. if he had checked in on us more frequently, we would have probably ordered more food/beer, and he'd have had a more successful evening. i'm just saying.