Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Swift Half

I've been to the Swift Half about four times since it opened, so this is a pretty well thought out review. Although I don't have any pictures from my trips, I do have a good amount of insight. Here it comes:

I expected this new Good Dog outpost to have excellent food. I went recently with Allie, John, and Rachel and they were all ready for dinner. They ordered mussels, fish and chips, and cucumber sandwiches, respectively. I had a few mussels, and they were decent, but this is clearly not the spot you want to hit for mussels. The fish and chips looked delicious when they were served, but further investigation revealed that they were overly breaded and couldn't keep up with Memphis Taproom. Rachel commented that her small appetizer was good, but also that she could have made something better at home. Needless to say, the food is not a selling point.

To be honest, I'm also disappointed with the beer list. In fairness, Swift Half has some good beers on tap. But when a week passes in between visits and not a single tap changes, I'm not inclined to return anytime soon. The beer list is not totally uninspired, with Southampton, Flying Fish, Stoudt's, Brooklyn, even Chimay represented on tap. The bottle list is extensive and well priced. One nice part of the menu is the inclusion of small plates of meat and cheese that could be matched to beer, if you're so inclined.

Currently, they have the Six Points Sweet Action on tap, which I raved about ever since the first time I had it at Sidecar. It's not as amazing as my memory made it, but I was glad to see this hard to find beer on tap. It's still excellent, and a nice find for a rare style: American Blonde Ale.


Service here is meh. It's not bad, I think it's pretty hit or miss depending on who's working. My favorite thing about this spot, and the reason that I keep coming back, is the outdoor seating. The piazza is a really cool area, and it's great when the Phillies are on the big screen. Inside
Swift Half is a normal bar, and I wouldn't eat or drink inside. Outdoor seating is closed at 11:30 on weeknight, which can be annoying if you want to just hang out, or are shoo-ed inside as you're finishing your last pint.

Bottom Line: This is just another spot on my list of places that are most remarkable for outdoor seating. As the list grows, Swift Half loses favor in my book. The food is okay, but I wouldn't want to come here for a meal. Really, this spot is only a go to for me if they continue to have beers that aren't available elsewhere in the city.

Essentials:
1001 N 2nd St (Piazza in No Libs)
(215) 923-4600
Avg Ent: 9-16, menu here
Cash Only: No
Reservations: No

1 comment:

Jonny Rashid said...

I agree; I think Swift Half serves as the obligatory place-to-drink in the Piazza. It's fairly well-rounded, but it doesn't excel in any area. So, because of that, it fits nicely into the theme of other Northern Liberties spots--good, but not great. Here are some of my thoughts.