Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The famous Rouge burger


I'd like to find my favorite burger in Philly. It's a fun quest. I've heard a great deal about Rouge; in fact, a "I'm Feeling Lucky" google search for best burger in Philadelphia will bring up Rouge as #1. In 2005, it was voted one of the best in the country. Considering the data, I went into Rouge with high expectations.
Rouge is a small eatery right off Rittenhouse Square with tables and a small bar area. Dan and I rolled in for lunch on a Thursday and sat at the bar. Beers available included a variety: Stoudt's Pils, Yeungling, Duvel, Amstel Light, ect. They were $5 to $9, and everything was about twice as much as it should be. These were all 12oz bottles, no drafts available. The bar is in line with the rest of Rouge: priced to make you (or maybe just me) not want to partake. Needless to say, I had only water. And of course they only serve Fiji. Everything is fancy here.

The atmosphere is posh. Rouge has weird curtains along all of the walls and tables scattered around a small, circular bar in the middle of the room. When the weather is nice, there is a good sized outdoor seating area. The service is good, but nothing special. Dan and I split a mediocre calamari to start. It came with a great sauce, the the squid and the breading were bland. After a short wait, my much anticipated burger arrived.

The burger is just enormous. With my first bite, I was impressed with a few aspects. The meat is perfectly cooked, despite the size. Further, the burger was very juicy and excellently seasoned. And it was served on a great buttery roll that added to the whole experience. But overall, I wasn't blown away. The burger serves up a huge portion of meat, with a delicious side of fries, but failed to leave a lasting impression. The toppings, especially onions and gruyere cheese are nice.
Bottom Line: It's not that Rouge's burger is bad, but it doesn't live up. There are quite a few more in the city that I'd perfer (and can afford). In all honest, I wouldn't recommend this spot to anyone, and I don't see myself ever going back. Rouge might boast that they offer a "truly unique dining experience," but it's not one that I want.

Essentials:
205 S 18th St (Just south of Walnut)
215-732-6622
Avg Ent: 16-25
Reservations: Recommended for dinner

1 comment:

hatchy said...

Glad to read your post. Been wanting to try this one, but seems like I'll be let down like you.
No beer on tap?! Out of line. What's up with beer failure at fancy restaurants?