Monday, November 9, 2009

Rangoon Burmese Restaurant

Rangoon is supposed to be one of the best Burmese restaurants around, and can supposedly compete with NYC (although no one's overflowing with Burmese joints). I had been looking forward to this visit a lot.

This was just a quick lunch stop, and Rangoon is a perfect place for such a trip. They provide good, amazingly fast service. We were in and out in under 45 minutes. The atmosphere is similar to many Chinatown restaurants. I went with a traditional Burmese dish. Overall, Burmese food is more chewy and messy than the rest of south east asia. It's more like the cuisine of northern Thailand, which makes sense when you look at it geographically.

The food is spicy, in a slow steady way that sticks with you. I loved it. My dish had large floppy noodles with shrimp, chicken and bean sprouts. It was all served with a light glaze over everything, which made the dish. I would recommend one of the noodle or rice dishes, although there are many other (chinese, ect) "regular" offerings. On another trip, I would like to try some of the traditional appetizers.

Bottom Line: Rangoon is definitely a good stop in Chinatown, especially for their lunch special. But I think I prefer other restaurants and Asian foods (especially dim sum!). Nonetheless, this spot is definitely worth checking out. It's good food, and a great way to get some variety on your plate.

Essentials:
112 N 9th St (9th and Arch)
215-829-8939
Hours: 11:30am - 9pm
Avg Ent: 6-10
Cash Only: No
Reservations: Not needed

No comments: