Thursday, November 19, 2009

NYPD Pizza

On my way home a few nights back, I had a sudden urge for a great slice of pizza. I'm a huge fan of Lorenzo's on South, but it was out of my way and I was feeling some toppings. I stopped by the NYPD pizza shop on the outskirts of the Gayborhood to try their slices.

I walked in an met face to face with a schizophrenic pizza shop. The name should have tipped me off. There was Italian music playing and other "motherland" decorations. So you're trying to be a pizza shop with an Italian identity named after NYC located in Philly? What's the deal? Further, this is just a stop-by joint. Sure, there are a few tables in the back, but no one is hanging out here. It's a grab and go. There's no problem with that, it's just not charming.

Despite the atmosphere, I was impressed with the shop. There were several different types of pizzas half cooked and sliced, just waiting for a hungry patron to say the word have have the slices whisked into the oven for the final minutes of baking.

I opted to go with the veggie slice, which was covered with diced tomatoes, green peppers and garlic. The ratios of the toppings, cheese, crust, and sauce were impeccable. The crust was perfectly thick and crispy. There are so many pizza shops in town that just don't have this kind of skill. Everything tasted great. Honestly, the taste of the pizza was enough to make up for any of the short fallings of NYPD Pizza.

Bottom Line: I generally don't expect to shell out $3.24 per slice. I also don't generally expect stop and go joints to have excellent pizza. Although I may not stop by again anytime soon, this is surely the best bet for Center City area pizza.

Essentials:

140 S 11th St (11th and Walnut)

(215) 733-0651

Avg slice: $3

Cash only: No

Reservations: No


1 comment:

Albert said...

Coming from a NYer, I'd say NYPD is hands down the best pizza joint in the city. Guy (the owner) is Brooklyn eye-talian and runs the joint well. I've been going there for years now and I love it.