Monday, March 23, 2009

Monk's Cafe

My great friend Jonny recently told me that Monk's was recently rated the #3 bar in the country by Beer Advocate magazine. Having a bar THAT good in my city, is phenomenal. On top of that, the prices are such that Monk's is accessible to most people who are going out to eat. Monk's really is an excellent bar, so it's hard to find much wrong with it.

I must start with the beer. When I visited on 3/20, the tap list was pretty disappointing. There wasn't anything that was interesting that I had not already tried. I was with my good friend Quinn, and our server didn't tell us anything about the tap list at the back bar. The bottle list is quite extensive, so much so that I was a bit overwhelmed by it. Our server, Maggie, actually did a great job helping me find a beer that I wanted to try without seeming impatient or condescending. When people know a lot about beer, they sometimes seem to operate with an informational advantage. Monk's beer might seem expensive, but for what you are getting, everything is reasonable.

I'm not great at describing beers, but here's a short list. The beers I had were:
1) Aventinus wheat doppelbock - I have never had this, and I know it's a pretty standard and widely enjoyed beer. it was a bit malty, but still easy drinking. It went well with my food.
2) Jolly Pumpkin Bam Beir - A light and slightly sour saison. It was really different than I was expecting from a saison. Decnet, but I wouldn't have it again.
3) Chimay Grand Reserve - Finished the night with a classic beer.

As expected, the fries at Monk's are bangin' (mussels and fries are Belgium's national dish). I continued my search for the most delicious burger in Philadelphia by ordering the Antwerp burger, beef with truffle cheese and shitaki mushrooms. While being an excellent burger, it's not the best in the city (but is not too far off either), nor the best item on the menu. If you like cultural dining, or seafood, the mussels are the way to go. I've had them before, and with the right sauce, you have a near perfect meal.

Monk's does not accept reservations and get extremely crowded. Quinn and I didn't have to wait for a table, but after we finished our food there was an hour wait. We sat at our table for almost an hour just drinking and didn't recieve any pressure to hurry up or move to the bar. I love that. The atmosphere at Monk's cosy and inviting, especially in the front room. Lastly, the music selection was awesome all night. I was jamming.

Overall, Monk's is great. It might not be my favorite bar ever, but I'm glad to have it in my city. Each day I realize a little bit more how beer-rich Philadelphia is.

Essentials:
264 S. 16th Street (16th and Spruce)
215-545-7005
Avg Ent: 9-20
Avg Beer: 5-17
Cash only: No
Reservations: No
BYOB: No

1 comment:

Jonny Rashid said...

I had a great time at Monk's with Amie on Saturday, too. The back bar DOES have a more extensive tap list, though. It really is one of the most amazing bars; my advice is to get something on tap right away, and then look specifically at the bottle list. There's a lot of great stuff on it and it takes a second to figure it out.

Amie and I had:
- Russian River Salvation (Dubbel)
- Russian River Damnation (Tripel)
- Grottonbier
- Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel (think American IPA + Tripel)
- Cantillon Monk's Cafe Cuvee Kriek

Thought the Chouffe was the most interesting one. Cheers.