Monday, August 3, 2009

Last of the Belgians: Eulogy

I'm not totally sure why I hadn't been to Eulogy in so long. Sure, it's in a spot that annoying to drive to, and weekend night here are more crazy than that of the zoo. But my love of beer and food should bring me here more often.

Eulogy has a lot in common with Monk's: Excellent Belgian bars with great tap and bottle lists. They both have great food, including mussels, and also sport multiple bars with different taps. So far, everything is great. But I'm not just going to write a comparison between the two, because it might just be boring.

I've been on a quest for my favorite burger in Philly, but after eating too many fist-thick pub burgers, I decided to scale back a bit. Still, I've heard good things about the burger here, so I couldn't resist. The result? A perfectly cooked, shaped and seasoned burger. Burgers come with your choice of cheese and one topping. Cheddar and leeks did me very well. It's easily one of my top burger spots in the city. I also tried the white wine mussels. These are also a delicious choice.
Now throw some of the best beer selection in the city on top? Eulogy makes good use of their bar to serve up a Belgian heavy menu, while also keeping a few excellent domestic beers. I started out with Kwak Amber. It was a delicious beer, and could only be outdone by me next choice, Gulden Draak. These are some of the premier beers in the world, available only a short bike ride from my house. The Draak comes in at %10.5, but is so well crafted you can't even tell. Sure, it's $9 a glass, but that doesn't change my recommendation.

I visited over lunch, so it was pretty slow and the staff was restocking a bit and moving things around. But the food still came out quickly, and the bartender was on top of the service. To boot, he was also really cool. I'm sure it's a trend with most who work here.

Bottom Line: Come here ready to eat, drink, and have an excellent time. Make sure you have your wallet, because the bill can add up quickly, especially with the beer. This is one of the top spots in the Olde City, and my favorite Belgian spot in Philly.

Essentials:
136 Chestnut Street (2nd and Chestnut)
(215) 413-1918
Avg Ent: 9-16
Cash Only: No
Reservations: Yes

1 comment:

Jonny Rashid said...

I like Eulogy, but still prefer Bridgid's and Monk's over it. That's probably because I like those 'hoods more, though