Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Sidecar Bar and Grill

Although I don't use Citysearch anymore, I used to frequently check out their top ten lists. The Sidecar consistently hung onto the list of best brunch spots in the city. It took me far too long to eat here and realize this place definitely deserves the distinction.

Tim Reardon and I brunched Saturday afternoon, right around noon, and the place wasn't crowded at all. It's a great spot and I like the setup of the bar and tables. Overall, it had nice atmosphere. The service was excellent. It seemed like all of the workers split tips and each chip in to bus all of the tables. Generally, this works out best for the workers and customers, and we received great service the whole time we were there.

The beer selection was excellent. While not extensive (7 or so beers on tap), The Sidecar managed to provide a range of great beers that are not easily found elsewhere in the city. I had the Sixpoint Sweet Action, an American blonde ale, and I loved it. Both Tim and I felt that our beers were served too cold, and mine came in a frosted glass. Minus two points. Further, the beer prices were not advertised at the bar or on the menu. They may have all been $5 (both of ours were) but I thought that was a weird way to (not) advertise.

Overall, our meals were delicious. As with the beer, The Sidecar has a great selection, and also provides enough vegetarian options to please. The brunch menu consists of variations on a few themes: poached eggs, panini, and breakfast burrito all made with a variety of ingredients. They were quite accommodating about me wanting to mix it up. Beyond breakfast, there's a great selection of lunch food. Portions were perfect, enough to fill me up, and nothing more. I had a sharp cheddar and mushroom panini with home fries and was completely satisfied.

Bottom Line: The Sidecar is a great brunch spot. It seems like a great bar, too, but I haven't evaluated that yet. I wish it was closer to my house, but I will still make it out here again in the near future.

Essentials:
2201 Christian St (22nd and Christian)
215-732-3429
Avg Ent: 9-12
Cash only: No
Reservations: No

No comments: