Wednesday, August 5, 2009

RX

Jonny has been telling me about RX for a while, and I'm always looking for new brunch spots. I don't make the trip to West Philly too often, but I will in search of an excellent breakfast.

I rolled into RX around 11 on a Sunday morning with Rachel. It was busy, but we were seated quickly. The service was adequate throughout breakfast. In terms of atmosphere, RX is a fine spot, it's a nice long dining room with some cheery decorations. Judgement aside, RX also provides the opportunity to rub elbows with smarmy University City college student. Be prepared.

The menu has a decent amount of options for breakfast, and I opted for the huevo ranchero: two over-medium eggs with salsa and black beans. It wasn't quite filling, and I'm surprised that most of their breakfast dishes are served up solo, without any toast, potatoes, or any other sides. Rachel ordered a standard eggs and bacon plate, which sounds boring, but seemed like one of the best options after I saw and tasted a bit.

Rx is a bit expensive for what you get, but overall I wouldn't complain about the price. On the menu there's a note that there must be a $6 per person minimum, which I thought was funny. The coffee is average, but rumor has it that the lemonade is the choice beverage. It's a BYO, so it might be a nice spot for a dinner date.

Bottom Line: I said I'd make the trip for an excellent trip out to West Philly if it was in my neighborhood. But it's just not that good. It would be infrequent for me even if it was around the corner. In this city, there are just so many better places. The best thing going for RX is the focus on local and sustainable food, and they're not the only place doing this. There just nothing that makes this place stand out.

Essentials:

4443 Spruce St (45th and Spruce)

(215) 222-9590

Avg Brunch: 7-11

Cash only: No

Reservations: Yes

BYOB: Yes


No comments: