Monday, August 17, 2009

McGillin's Olde Ale House

Because I ocassionly work in Center City, I've been searching for the perfect lunch spot within walking distance of City Hall. I really like to try out new places too, but after lunch at McGillin's I could give up my search and make this my regular spot.

My friend Dan and I hit up this spot for lunch after passing on Misconduct Tavern's average beer list. McGillin's is hidden on Drury St, a side street off Juniper. Because of this odd location, and the fact that it was the middle of the day, I expected to walk into a quite little spot. It didn't even really look open for the outside. But inside, it was bustling with business. There were a few tables filled with clear tourists checking out Philadelphia's oldest bar (established 1860), but it was mostly filled with the Philadelphia work force taking a break.

McGillin's is holding on to the old time mentality, with the decorations and atmosphere, and a collection of servers who look like they're been working here for years. They also offer free soup with every entree, which seems like an old time practice lots in search of increased profits.

When we visited, the soup was turkey vegetable, and it was surprisingly flavorful. We ordered a side of wings. They were fine, but a mistake, considering we both had soup and entrees. Further, the service was so fast that we barely had time to finish the soup, let alone with wings, by the time main course came out.

Dan chowed down on an average burger, and I went with the German platter. Potatoes and Veggies served up with two types of sausage. It was okay, but my experience on South St raised my expectations. The food was okay, but the prices seemingly made it taste better.

In general, the prices are great here, especially for the location, and that extends to the beer. Pitchers are $9 to $13, depending on what you want. The tap list here is respectable too. We split a pitcher of Ommegang Rare Vos and then moved to Brooklyn's Sorachi Ace. The Sorachi Ace is a crazy hop, and I think that Brooklyn did a nice job making this beer, although I won't order it again. McGillin's also has three house brews from Stoudt's, a brewery I like a lot. These all come in at less than $10 a pitcher and would make for reliable choices anytime.

During the lunch rush, the service also seemed rushed. Also, I must admit I'm turned off by seeing a cook weave his way through the dining room in the middle of lunch with a full bag of garbage. Even if there's no other way, can't it wait until the dining room isn't packed?

Bottom Line: My first experience at McGillin's was definitely positive. It's almost a no brainer for a lunch spot close to City Hall, and the beer list and specials every night make it a good bar in it's own right. This won't be my last time here, and either for beer, food, or simply historical value, this stop is a must.

Essentials:
1310 Drury St (Off 13th between Sansom and Chestnut)
(215) 735-5562
Avg Ent: 5-10
Cash Only: No

2 comments:

Nathan Leonard said...

I am in complete agreement with you. Awesome food prices and a good atmosphere! You might even be able to catch a soccer game on TV.

Jonny Rashid said...

Definitely like this spot too.