Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Supper


I've been wanting to go to Supper since I passed up on their deviled eggs and Slyfox happy hour. Maybe that wasn't the best choice, but it was great to get to visit for a whole meal. Supper is located on South Street, which is an odd location for this nice restaurant. I doubt their really getting any walking by traffic because of their location.

Despite the location, the atmosphere here is great. I've read that they're going for an "urban farmhouse" feeling, and it's easy to see that aim with the decor. Supper also features an open kitchen, which is a treat if you're dining downstairs, but be prepared to have a louder and more hectic dinner. There's also a nice upstairs dining area with a bar, but average beer selection with NYC prices make beer hardly worth it. Sadly, I didn't find a single beer that justified the price they were asking, but my sampling of my sisters' cocktails were delicious. These drinks are mixed well and aren't weak, either.

Supper's menu consists almost entirely of small plates. The recommendation is for each person to order three courses; an hor'dourves with a first and second course. I was out with my two sisters; Laura and Betsy, along with her boyfriend Chris. We were all getting along pretty well, so we abandoned the traditional, boring dining style here and ordered a whole mess of plates to share. The result? Awesome.
We started with a cheese plate, which had six different domestic cheese that varied in style. Even the worst one good, and the best one, well, maybe the best cheese I've ever had. (I may have been sold even before I tried it when our server hinted at a beer aftertaste). The portions of the cheese plate were enough for the four of us to sample everything a few times, which is a nice change from overpriced microscopic dollops of cheese found in too many other restaurants.

The rest of our appetizers consisted of deviled eggs, which are rightly so one of Supper's trademarks. Four different eggs are served up: paprika, sirachi, truffle, and crab. It seems that there's a lot of different eggs, it just depends on the night. Another appetizer that everyone seems to be crazy about are the duck fat fingerling potatoes. Laura liked them a lot, I just thought they were fine. To round out the appetizers we had excellent crab cakes.

We were served a chilled corn soup next. As a rule, I'm against chilled soups, but Chris went ahead and ordered it, and I'm glad he did. This soup was excellent, and has given all chilled soups a second chance in my book. We all continued sharing with the Pan Roasted Sea Scallops, Moroccan Grilled Lamb Ribs, and Spice Crusted Tuna. I don't want to go into detail about every single dish, but the order I mentioned them is the order that I liked them most to least. Everything was good, but the scallops were just the best.
Lastly, we finished up the meal with one of the big plates which included: Beer braised belly w/ peach & kale, smoked loin w/ warm potato salad, grilled housemade brat w/ picalilli & crispy pigskin slaw. These things were good, but I don't recommend the big plates here. I think lost of small apps and firsts are great for the whole party.

The price here can vary greatly depending on how much you want to sample and how hungry you are. Still, there's no way around it, Supper is not cheap. At these prices, I'm glad I was sharing a table with some of my favorite people in the world.

Bottom Line: This place serves up great food. While it might not be in your budget, restaurant week is around the corner and this would be an excellent spot. Drink somewhere else, eat here. Plan dinner with the online menu.

Essentials:
926 South St (10th and South)
(215) 592-8180
Avg dinner: 30-60 per person
Reservations: Yes
Cash Only: No

2 comments:

lana bear said...

oh man! So fun to have betsy and laura here!

Jonny Rashid said...

Sounds good; although, knowing me I would've ordered it as they recommended. Talk more about the booze.