Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Best Bars in the City

Since Lana gave me a shoutout, I have gome from one to six subscribers in Google reader. That's pretty cool.  Google reader's trends and recommendations also give me some things to look at when my friends aren't writing enough blogs.  It's pretty fun.

Remember that list of the 50 best bars in the city?  I disagree with a lot of the rankings. Overall, I still think it's a pretty good list.  But really...Grace Tavern #1...and the Abbaye at #28?  The Abbaye is one of my favorite bars.  Memphis Taproom and Johnny Brenda's are also great; my biggest grip is that they are a bit overpriced.  And amid all of those bars, not including Manny Brown's and Eulogy is a mistake.

Besides the point, I haven't been to a lot of the bars on the list, and I would like to change that. Lots of new places have opened up too:  Devil's Den, Local 44 and El Camino Real (The only one of these three I've been to.)  I want to start going to bars that I haven't been to before instead of staying with the ones that I know are good.

What are your favorite places? Where's the best happy hour?  Am I crazy to put this much thought into it?  By the end of the year, or at some point, I'd like to be able to compile a list like this of my own.  Seriously though, leave a comment and tell me where I should get my next beer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've got lists for you. Lets hangout and make a checklist for 2009

Jonny Rashid said...

I've got some lists for you. The new ones that I've check out recently are listed below:
- Local 44
- Prohibition Taproom
- The Tiedhouse
- Pub & Kitchen

The Abbaye, Jose Pistola's, SPTR, and Bridgid's are some of my favorites. I love the idea of thinking long and hard about places to go to drink beer.

Best happy hour? P.O.P.E., The Abbaye, The Khyber are some ones that are awesome.

I also think that list of 50 is totally bogus; the prospect of getting together to talk about bars that Jesse mentioned above is extraordinarily intriguing. WIll you let me know the deets of that?