Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Cafe Lift

I just got from lunch from Cafe Lift, and this little cafe is sweet. It's half a block from Prohibition Taproom and has been on my list of places to go for some time. It's only open for brunch and lunch, and the menu is quite limited. It's a bummer that I forgot to take pictures.

Lift markets itself as a "Euro style cafe" but basically only serves up salads and paninis. Is that euro-style? Despite this, there were a few really good options for the sandwiches, from salmon to prosciutto along with the one token veggie option. I had the Cubano sandwich with grilled pork, smoked ham and pefectly caramelized onions. Top that with fontina cheese and aioli, and you have one delicious sandwich. I had to conciously make myself slow down because it tasted so good.

My sandwich was served with mixed greens on the side with a drop of salad dressing. Overall, it was a weak side dish. Our server was mostly attentive, with the only slip up being a few minutes in between the sandwiches being delivered. That can always be awkward for a second.

Cafe Life has a pretty nice modern atmosphere, and sets a few tables outside with umbrellas when it's nice outside, which I love. This place also serves up brunch, but from the limited lunch menu, I'm guessing that brunch doesn't feature anything outstanding.

Bottom Line: The prices are great here, the food is really good, and it's relatively close to where I work. It's a great little spot, but it's not about to become your new favorite cafe. Still, the paninis are well crafted and it's a great light lunch on a beautiful day.

Essentials:
428 N 13th St (13th and Buttonwood)
(215) 922-3031
Ave Ent: 7-9
Cash only: Yes (ATM on site)
Reservations: No

1 comment: