Monday, June 1, 2009

National Mechanics

Since I've been cooking at home a lot, I'm going to draw on my back catalogue of dining out experiences. I've been to National Mechanics a few times, and there is one specific reason that keeps me coming back: The lunch special featuring $5 burgers and decent pitchers, with Yard's and PBC represented.

National Mechanics is a totally weird place. It's some kind of historic building (it looks like a bank from the outside) that has been converted into a great looking bar. It has a nice hardwood bar and a decent amount of high-top tables and booths. As far as service goes, don't expect much. My favorite detail about National Mechanics is there pint glasses featuring local celebs like Rocky, John Street (with Nutter drinking it), Cole Hamels, and the likes.

There is a better than average beer selection, but it's overpriced. Your best bet is to still with the local brews, and last time I went the PBC and Yards were both kicked; no replacements on the horizon. Like I said, don't expect much from the service.

The burger is very good, and at $5, it becomes excellent. It even comes with fries! This place is sweet. There's a veggie burger available at the same price for all of the non-meat eaters.

Bottom Line: This place is great for lunch. I never have been, and probably never will go to this in the evening, partly because of much better options. The beer selection and availability of pitchers is nice, especially for Olde City. There are probably a whole load of people who love this place because it's exactly their kind of "thing." I'm not one of those people.



Essentials:

22 S 3rd St (3rd and Market)

(215) 701-4883

Avg Ent: 5-?

Cash only: No

Reservations: Takes them, not needed for lunch

2 comments:

Jonny Rashid said...

Veggie burger is decent, too. I like the cheap pitchers and going here with Weegie for lunch too.

Nathan Leonard said...

as a side comment, evening dinner there is good on a slow night (as in, not the weekend). and brunch there is horrible, the service and the food...too bad because a bloody mary buffet is such a nice idea.