Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Continental

Dear Stephen:

I really like your restaurants. I generally tell people that you're a great restauranteer, and with the number of new places that you open up seems that the general public seems to agree. But I have a few questions.

First, why don't you think beer is important? I mean, when the best thing at the Continental is Anchor Steam, it's kind of a bummer. Not that I didn't enjoy it, but it was slightly overpriced and really the only decent option. You definitely focus more on the food, but I think you could stand to do both. Is your next venture a beer bar? I wouldn't be surprised. But you might be too busy trying to out do (or ignore) Tochonelli's.

Second, what's up with the Continental. Maybe the question should be what's up with me, becuase I don't seem to like this place as much as everyone else seems to. The food seems overpriced, the portions are small, and the food is decent, but nothing more.

I'll admit, you've cultivated a really cool swanky diner feel where the point is for
everyone to share a bunch of dishes and enjoy themselves. Your servers are great, and overall, this isn't a terrible place. I just don't see any reason why I'd ever come back. There is definitely one shining menu item, the shoestring fries. It's pretty sweet that you can get a heaping pile of decent fries for under $4, with crazy hot mustard in toe. Honestly, if there was some decent beer, I'd stop by for a drink and some fries all the time.

Bottom Line: You're doing a great job. I just think that this place isn't your strongest effort. I'm guessing it's a lot better with a larger group, six to eight seems ideal. This also seems like an ideal people watching spot. As for food and and service, you continue to operate under the "Starr Standard" (I just coined that, how about some kickback?).

Love,

Walter G

Essentials:
2nd and Market, 18th and Chestnut
Avg Ent: 8-15 (but one won't fill you up)
Cash Only: No
Reservations: Recommended

2 comments:

Jonny Rashid said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jonny Rashid said...

I'm taking Amie to lots of great restaurants this year, and though our experience at Alma and Buddakan was excellent, the other restaurants we've been to (notably Horizons and Amada) have been way better.

As far as alcohol goes, the wine lists at his restaurant, from my amateur perspective, are great. With that said, I agree that his beer lists needs improvement. But I would be really upset if he opened a beer bar; my guess is that it would be overpriced and still uninformed. I really pray that he doesn't open a beer bar, I think his fame and fortune would put his bar at an unfair advantage over the city's wonderful bars.