Friday, November 26, 2010

Best of: Condiment

I know, maybe doesn't seem like a sexy category for my intermittent "Best of" posts. But when you get the perfect sauce that compliments your food, it completes the meal. And a few places are taking their sauce concoctions to the next level. I have a lot of favorites, so I'm going tomention three, instead of just one.

Honorable mention: Eulogy's "Bat out of Hell" wing sauce. This is a great sauce that uses chili paste that's sold alongside sriracha. The wing sauce is a perfect combination of tangy, sweet, and hot. I love that it's unique and made in house. They didn't try and emulate other wings that you can get anywhere else, but really strove to create a new taste, and they did so with great success.






Runner up: Duck sauce at Tamarind. While dining there recently, I had the spring rolls with a side of this wonderful sauce. It blows the stuff you get out of the packets away. It's perfectly tangy, light enough to let the flavor of the spring come through. I like duck sauce in general, but this is really stepping up the game.







First Place: Mustard aioli made with Yard's Porter at Kraftwork. This is by far the best condiment I've had at a restaurant, and probably hands down. The most amazing part is that I don't really like mustard all that much, making my raving about Kraftwork's sauce even more impressive. The kitchen dishes out little bowls of this with the burger and fries, and I can't get enough. I'd buy it in a second if they put it in a jar. I'm generally on the Kraftwork bandwagon, but even if I wasn't, the mustard is reason enough to visit.

Dang, all that just made my hungry. What are your favorites?

2 comments:

leann (gorman) wood said...

the sauce for the fries at monks. so gooooood

lana bear said...

there's a sauce out here in portland, that pretty much every place carries..it's a hot sauce called Aardvark's secret sauce. http://www.secretaardvark.com/products.html People are die-hards for this stuff. I don't like spicy stuff..so i really can't say..