Tuesday, November 9, 2010

White Dog Cafe




I finally got to visit this spot. It's tucked away on the 3400 block of Sansom, which is a charming little block with great house facades that have been turned into businesses. I had never even been down this street and it's a nice stroll through the generally otherwise annoying University City area.

White Dog has a neat atmosphere; it's a maze of different rooms set up as small dining rooms. The decorations are laid on pretty thick, and it's a great conversion of a house to restaurant without losing any of the charm. The service was swift and pleasant throughout the meal. I met here with my friend Quinn on a beautiful Saturday morning. Surprisingly, White Dog wasn't even close to full at 11am on a weekend.

I've heard complaints about the prices here, but I found it in line with other brunch places. The exception is the drink menu. Bloody Marys and mimosas for $9 are just far too high. I stuck with coffee for the morning, and was happy with the fresh brew they kept pouring.
Looking over the menu, there were several good options, but I landed with the steak and eggs. The dish had a good presentation, and overall I was satisfied with my choice. My only complaint was that the texture of the steak, in fact I question whether it truly was steak. It seems like a roast that was cut into strips before being topped with the other ingredients. Nonetheless, the dish was tasty and satisfying. Quinn ordered an omelet that came with mushrooms, onions, spinach, and smoked cheddar. She loved her option for brunch and the sample I had was good. She also opted for a side of extra crispy bacon, and it was cooked perfectly to her specification (although not to my taste).
Bottom Line: There's not enough going on here to make me want to make the trip regularly, but I do believe that White Dog Cafe is serving up the best brunch in West Philly. I enjoyed my brunch.


No comments: