Friday, November 5, 2010

Bridget Foy's


Wednesday night, $10 for a burger and a craft beer. You really can't beat that. And it's a great idea because it got me in the door at a place I would have never gone otherwise.

There's a lot going on at Bridget Foy's. Outdoor seating, a nice sized bar with a huge plasma screen, semi fancy dining room, 3rd floor function room, and weird 2nd floor overflow seating: they all converge here, somehow. The atmosphere isn't too much. As a restaurant, I think it's a little overpriced for what it is. That being said, the service is great. Throughout the whole night our server was nice and attentive.

The tap list is small, but crafted with care. Lager and Kenzinger are standard while four taps rotate respectable beers. I had the Stoudt's scarlet lady ESB, which went nicely with my food. I was visiting with Lulu, and she opted for a pumpkin beer, I forget the exact one.

There are several different burgers on the menu, and we opted to split the Head House and the New Mexico burgers. I'm usually a medium rare guy, but I have to admit the the medium we ordered was impressive. It wasn't juicy, but the medium cooking complimented the loosely packed and well flavored meat. The Head House burger, my favorite for the night, was topped with an egg, mushrooms and gruyere. The New Mexico was also good, with a little spice added by the chipotle aioli, roasted green chiles, and pepperjack cheese.
While the burgers are well-made, the choice of toppings is also a great craft and I applaud Bridget Foy's for working to have a few, thoughtful good cheeseburgers. They come topped on perfectly buttery roles that compliment the burger.

We were too full to have dessert, and I criticize the place for offering a dessert menu without prices, but our server brought out tiny complimentary slices of a chocolate cake that were delicious. If I wasn't so full, I would have liked to have a slice.

Bottom Line: With the general atmosphere and location of this place, it's not really my spot. The prices are a little high, but when you're selling your burgers that are normally 11-13 dollars at $10 with a beer, you can expect me to show up. Wednesday night: great burgers, and a decent spot.

Essentials:
200 South St (at 2nd)
215-922-1813
Hours: M-F: 8am-10pm, S: 9am-midnight, S:9am-10pm
Avg Ent: 10-18
Cash Only: No
Reservations: Accepted for dining room, not for burger night
Photo: Copyright © 2010 Unbreaded. All rights reserved. Please contact to request use. Credit: Michaelangelo Ilagan / Unbreaded

No comments: