Friday, March 12, 2010

The Abbaye's "Speed" Lunch

Shame on me. I keep going to the Abbaye, despite knowing what I'll inevitably encounter. Yesterday Dan and I hit up the Abbaye for lunch. We waited for about five minutes for beers. We were not even offered the speed lunch menu; I had to go snag it from another table.

For beer, I had Atwater Voodoo Vader, and then moved to Phoenix Pale Ale. All of the beers were warmer than usual (think cask temperature). We both decided to try out the sliders and split an order of wings. The wings are advertised as Chimay marinated, but I didn't taste it. They were served with side of pathetic, watery blue cheese "dressing." All in all, they weren't terrible, but I wouldn't recommend them. The sliders, however, are a great value. $6 gets you two little sliders with one topping. They come with a side of fries, a pickle, and the Abbaye's fantastic dipping sauce. Considering the meal alone, I was satisfied.

But when my credit card sits on top of the check for ten minutes, it's poor service. Lunch was busy, but by the time we were trying to pay, there were only a few people left from the lunch rush. The word "speed" shouldn't be allowed in the Abbaye's lexicon. And while I'm complaining, let's talk about "Keep the Glass" night. Cool promotion. But having four taps from one brewery days after the event? I'm not interested in any one of those four from Manayunk brewery (Despite the face the Alpha Dog is surprisingly good).

Botton Line: The food here is generally great, and there's always a decent beer, but the service is subpar. Terrible Horrible. Ect, ect.

Essentials:
637 N 3rd St (3rd and Green)
(215) 627-6711
Avg Ent: 9-16, Speed lunch $5-7, served M-F 12-2pm
Cash only: Card accepted and ATM on site
Reservations: No

1 comment:

hatchy said...

most inconsistent service in the city, hands down...i once waited almost an hour and a half for the Chimay marinated cheesesteak after everyone else in my group had long been served. have also had very efficient service.