Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Good Dog

More than one year had passed since I visited the Good Dog before my recent lunch. Good Dog is surrounded by bunches of other good bars, and becomes crowded during the evening and weekends. I know that people rave about the burger, but it's usually not enough to entice me to visit.

The real problem is that I forgot how delicious that burger it. In most cases, it deserves all of the hype. In case you're unfamiliar, Good Dog stuffs their delicious burger with cheese. And there are few feelings more satisfying than biting into a burger and having blue cheese ooze out of the middle. To make the experience even better, Good Dog serves a generous portion of delicious sweet potato fries. My only complaint is that my burger was slightly undercooked, but not enough for me to want to send it back. And while a bun might not be important to some people, I love that the burger is served on a fluffy, buttery roll. The burger and fries was more than enough to fill me up for lunch.

Good Dog understands how to maintain a good beer list. During my lunch I had Furthermore brewery's Makeweight, a Belgain IPA. Having never heard of this brewery, I was really impressed with this delicious beer. There is always a nice mix of local and other domestic beers. Curiously, they always seem to have Southampton Double White on tap.

Service here and atmosphere are average. I recommend visit during the week for lunch, and even then expect a decent Center City rush during your meal. I honestly can't comment on any of the menu besides the burger, because I've never had anything else, and I never will.

Bottom Line: This is a good bar, serving one of my favorite burgers in the city. As long as I'm heading down to Center City for work, this will be one of my top options for lunch. Their solid beer list only supports the cause.

Essentials:
224 S 15th St (15th and Locust)
215-985-9600
Avg Ent: 9-15, Burgers: $11
Cash Only: No
Reservations: No

No comments: