Monday, March 29, 2010

Byrne's Tavern

I heard the wings here are fantastic, so I came searching. Alas, they don't live up to my standards. I'm sure there are people who will love the style of wings here. They are quite tender. They pressure cook the wings to get the soft, almost chewy consistency. The meat almost falls off the bone. I just don't love that style for chicken wings. The wing sauce isn't anything special, either.

I went with my good friend Dan to check out a hockey game and eat and drink. The bartender here was awesome, friendly and on top of his game. We were never left with a moment without a beer in front of us. The atmosphere here is what you'd expect. The clientele is mostly old, white, Irish Catholic blue collar. Everyone seems to be jovial, just trying to have a good time.

The beers here are also what you'd expect. National brews from the US and Ireland. The best thing here is Yeungling, so that gives you an idea of what you're getting into.

Bottom Line: The wings might be your style, but you shouldn't come here for the beer or food. It's a great place to meet real people, and catch a game. Nothing more than that.

Essentials:
3301 Richmond St (Richmond and Westmoreland)
215-634-8707
Hours: 11am-2pm
Wings: 7.25 per dozen (25% off Mondays)
Cash Only: No
Reservations: Never

No comments: