Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Khyber


I like beer a lot. And while The Khyber will never really be able to compete with the great beer bars of the city, The Khyber is a great bar in its own way. There are a few reasons that I really like this spot.

Location and Atmosphere: Olde city is full of bad, crowded bars. In other parts of town, the Khyber might not be worth mentioning. But because it's so much better than a lot of bars in a three block radius, the Kyber gains some ground. Further, it's gritty bar where the real salt of the earth come out. I don't know where that phrase comes from, but when I sit at the bar, I'm surronded by a legit crowd.

Music: In addition to a good jukebox, the Khyber is a great small venue. It has a small stage next to the bar downstairs and another space upstairs with a second bar. Downstairs has decent bands for modest cover charges, while upstairs will play indie rock and ear-numbing levels. If you feel cool enough, you can dance the night away.

Specials: The Khyber has an awesome happy hour. 5 to 8 pm, which is a good start. Throw in $2 Yards pints and the $4 Royal burger. Results: Awesomeness. On top of that, $10 open bar, or "Kill Your Liver" is every Sunday.

Food and Drink: The Khyber has a a decent selection of beer. They don't have anything amazing, but the variety have something on tap to please any palette. And if not, go for the $2 PBR pounder. As for the food, the Khyber has a small but varied menu of greasy bar food that's surprisingly cheap and delicious. They even have veg and vegan options.

Service: I'm pretty sure I've had the same bartender a majority of times I've been to the Khyber, but he's a cool guy. There's not much in the way of traditional service, but that's not why you're at the Khyber.

With all of the above mentioned, The Khyber adds up to be a great spot. Maybe I'm a bit biased. I just like the place.

Essentials:
56 S 2nd St (2nd and Chestnut)
215-238-5888
Avg Ent: 3-6
Cash only: Yes
Reservations: No
BYOB: No

2 comments:

Jonny Rashid said...

I like the Khyber, too. Not a great venue. But one of the only "reading bars" if you get there on time.

lady.shiv said...

Worst sounding venue ever.